1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What gender is my new baby???

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Grand-hen-ma, Jul 21, 2011.

1. Grand-hen-ma

Grand-hen-ma Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2010
    Hudson Florida
    Hi everyone! On the 21st my hen, Bonnie, hatched my very first baby. I wasn't going to hatch any more because the first time I attempted turned out to be a disaster. But this time, I decided to just leave everything alone and let nature do her thing. I had 2 eggs, laid on different dates. Yesterday I go out to check on the girls and to my surprise, there was a beautiful baby! Pic below. I watched "Dirty Jobs" and on that show, they were sexing chicks by checking the tiny feathers on the ends of the wings. All the feathers looked like the same length to me. But I forgot if that meant a hen or a roo. Can anyone help me out?

Thanks in advance

[​IMG]

2. Tanichca

Tanichca Sparkle Magnet

May 6, 2009
    Vail, Arizona
    that kind of sexing really only works in hatcheries, where the birds are bred for feather-sexing. The baby is still WAAAAAAAAY to young to tell, wait about three weeks, OK? [​IMG]

3. bustermommy

bustermommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2011
    What breed is the chick? Not all breeds can be feather sexed from what I've heard.

4. Grand-hen-ma

Grand-hen-ma Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2010
    Hudson Florida
    Well I'm not sure which of my girls laid the egg. It was a brown egg. I'm thinking it could have been one of my sex links, but not sure.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by