What gender is my olive egger!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by cal1319, Jun 8, 2016.

1. cal1319

cal1319 New Egg

Jun 8, 2016
    Hi Everyone,
    Really love this site! I just picked up some pullets a few months back and was wondering if you all can help with one of the pullets my olive egger. She is around 15weeks old. Thank you for all your help! The white one is a splash isbar around the same age. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. RhodeRunner

RhodeRunner Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2009
    Ashtabula, Ohio
    Cockerel. He has a curved tail feathers coming in (boy trait) and a very large pea comb for his age.

3. cal1319

cal1319 New Egg

Jun 8, 2016
    Yeah, that is sadly what I was thinking too. If she/he is really a rooster, hes going to be the biggest baby rooster ever, the most shy chicken out of the bunch!

4. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    [​IMG]

I'm not so sure. Can you get a better comb shot? And how sure are you on the age? 15 weeks I'd expect to see a lot more cockerel features, like hackle and saddle feathers, and more comb. Overall this bird looks feminine to me.

5. cal1319

cal1319 New Egg

Jun 8, 2016
    Hi again. I tried to get some pics of her/his comb. Not the best pics but hope they may help. As for the age I am fairly confident she is 15 weeks. I got all the ladies at the same time. They where all the same age except for my Blue copper Maran who is a few weeks older. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. Gray Farms

Gray Farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2016
    NW Missouri
    I agree, at 15 weeks there should be more definite signs of being a male as Donrae said. As soon as I saw the first pic she struck me as a pullet, so I'm voting pullet. If its a cockerel ...its a very, very slow developer.

7. cal1319

cal1319 New Egg

Jun 8, 2016
    Well, thanks for your feedback so far! I hope shes a pullet! No crowing, zero signs of aggression, never seen her stand up to any chickens, the OE and my splash isbar are very gentle and more standoffish.... Just when I started to see the curled tail it had me wondering. Thanks again. Ill keep you all updated as she(he) ages. All the other pullets I have no doubt, tiny tiny combs and pointy tails.

8. Kfchicks

Kfchicks Out Of The Brooder

Apr 22, 2016
    I had a pullet look very similar to yours with curled tail feathers around the same age and slowly she lost the curled feathers! Hope yours is the same way!

9. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I'm staying with pullet. As stated above, it that's a cockerel he's one of the slowest developing birds I've seen on here.

Those funky pseudo sickle feathers don't mean anything, lots of pullets have a curve like that around this age and molt out of them. Definite male signs would be hackle or saddle feathers, a larger, plumper comb, leggier stance, reddish patches on the wings....and of course, crowing [​IMG].

It will be interesting to see what color eggs she lays!

10. cal1319

cal1319 New Egg

Jun 8, 2016
    Thank you all for your input! I will be sure to keep you all posted if shes a she :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by