What gender is my plymoth rock?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Angel_Feather, Nov 21, 2009.

1. Angel_Feather

Angel_Feather Out Of The Brooder

Nov 20, 2009
    Dawsonville, GA
    Can someone tell me what gender this plymoth rock is? (not the rhode islands or the ameracauns, just the plymoth)
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 21, 2009
  2. HEChicken

HEChicken Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    How old? Can you get a good pic of the head/neck area, and also the tail?

3. Angel_Feather

Angel_Feather Out Of The Brooder

Nov 20, 2009
    Dawsonville, GA
    I cant right now. My cam is missing. But I'll try to give you a thorough description.

It has a bit of shiny green tail feathers like a cock, but they are rounded, like a hen.
    It has a small comb and wattle, like a hen, but then again, it's pretty young.
    It has a plain neck...nothing really special about it.

4. wordgirl

wordgirl One of the Shire-folk

Apr 14, 2009
    I'm going to guess female. She looks a little too dark to be a male.

5. HEChicken

HEChicken Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    From what I can see in the pic, the comb would indicate hen, but the reason I asked about age is that can make a difference. A large comb on a 6-week-old would indicate rooster. The same size comb on a 16-week-old would more likely be a hen. A comb that stays yellow/pink indicates hen. A comb that reddens early indicates roo. The other indicators are the hackle (neck) feathers. They will be more pointy on a boy and rounded on a girl. Also, the feathers right before the tail (saddle feathers) will grow long on a rooster. The tail itself is another indicator. Roosters will grow a longer tail with some rather curved feathers, while pullets tail feathers will stay shorter and not curved.

6. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    Looks like a pullet to me because of her color, size of comb and I dont see any pointed tail feathers.

7. Chickenfur

Chickenfur Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2009
    On Earth :)
    How old is she?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by