What gender is my Silkie?

jaseyboy1986

In the Brooder
5 Years
Aug 7, 2014
Norfolk, UK
Hi, I had to exchange one of my chickens a few weeks ago as it turned out to be a cockerel and I wanted all hens. The replacement, I am confident, is a hen however I am starting to suspect another member of my backyard gang may be a male. It hasn't crowed, is not dominant over the others and does not have similar features to the one I replaced (i.e the same saddle or streamer feathers) but it has started to develop a comb very similar and it has only developed over the last week or so. None of my chickens are laying yet either.

Sorry, if I'm being vague, I'm not very knowledgable with chickens but I want to learn, please have a look at the photos and let me know if you can tell if it's a male or female just from looking.

It is a pullet! However, it is not a Silkie, since its feathers appear normal. Could be a Silkie mix, or something else; whatever she is, she is pretty!

It is a pullet! However, it is not a Silkie, since its feathers appear normal. Could be a Silkie mix, or something else; whatever she is, she is pretty!

Thank you. The breeder I got her from said she was a Silkie mix but couldn't tell what she was mixed with.

She also said she was 90% sure it was female but then again I had to return one she was also pretty sure of when it started crowing. :)

Back
Top Bottom