what gender is my speckled sussex????

ourrune

Chirping
May 20, 2015
Palm bay fl
Hello!!! New to this site but have been reading threads off here for a week now and decided its time i joined! So, Pretty sure one of my speckled sussex is a boy. Just bought my first 3 chicks ever last week they are supposed to be 4 week old pullets 99percent female. 2 speckled sissex brown layers and salmon Faverolle pink layers. one from the beginning i thought was a runt, my being uneducated with ch ickens and all... my son was the first to say bringing them home, mom her comb is bigger and pinker. But she barley has any feathers next to her sister. Well now i realize it is probably because it is a boy. He has no tail feather and his neck has barley any feathers and he just has less feather all together. His back was bare until just today i noticed he finally got some furry looking down in or something his back finally looks like what they do when they are babies, underneathe the wings that is. Also he is the most fli

ghty when we try to pick him up, his name is lucy lol his sister is amazing we love her she will sleep on our lap. Really hoping im wrong because this is my first go around and no one else has any sussex now and i have no idea what to do with a roo we cant keep him. Please help! Reply with good news..... fingers crossed ;)

It does look like this one might be a boy. If that comb gets keeps growing and turns a bright pink in the next week or two, then for sure a boy. If there isn't much change, it could still be a pullet.

X2 I'm pretty sure that second one is a roo.

These were mine at about the same age as yours. - maybe a week older. Notice the comb difference.

This was them a few months later. Sorry about his head being blurry - he spotted a flying bug!

Last edited:
Oh wow yeah!!! They are a bit darker too huh? I dont know why ours is lacking feathers so Since i heard that boys with big combs have big tails but not this guy he is lacking big time! he loves cuddling my female salmon Faverolle though lol thanks for the replies!! Bummer! Wish i had a place for him. Wish i had lots of land lol

I see you using wood shavings i know this is off topic but im new to all this i went to buy pine shavings and they said they didnt sell them because of respiratory reasons so i bought aspen wood shavings. is the whole bottlm of your coop pine wood shavings? Do i need to worry about them with them at all? Aside from making a mess in their water and food lol

Oh wow yeah!!! They are a bit darker too huh? I dont know why ours is lacking feathers so Since i heard that boys with big combs have big tails but not this guy he is lacking big time! he loves cuddling my female salmon Faverolle though lol thanks for the replies!! Bummer! Wish i had a place for him. Wish i had lots of land lol
They were pretty dark. In the first pic I posted the roo is the one on the left with the larger comb, and he's the one on the left in the second picture, too. You might look a little closer at the picture of him as a youngster - almost no tail at all compared to hers.

Back
Top Bottom