What gender is my Wyndotte?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by wilsonfarm416, Jul 5, 2011.

1. wilsonfarm416

wilsonfarm416 Out Of The Brooder

May 15, 2011
    Brighton
    This is one of my 12week golden laced wyndottes is this a hen or a roo? both my GLW are bossy with my other chickens and they don't like to be handled. Oh and at what age do roos start to crow?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Lothiriel

Lothiriel Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Aug 30, 2007
    New York State
    My Coop
    Looking roo-ish to me - the saddle and hackle feathers look kinda pointy, and there's a green shine there too. He's pretty though. I love the way GLW's look. Though Wyandottes are rather flighty and not terribly friendly, in my experience.

Roos crowing... well, it depends. I had one that was crowing at less than 4 weeks, and I've had others that didn't crow until much later.

3. itsy

itsy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2011
    New England
    Looks like a roo to me. I have a GLW that everyone here said was a male - and he's not. He's a she. Her tail is MUCH different than yours. Your guy has stickyup tail feathers and is very red in the facial features. Mine is not very red and she's got a nice fluffy rump like her girlfriends. I'll have to update that thread..... [​IMG]

4. Miyashi

Miyashi Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2011
    Gaylord, MI
    My best guess would also be a roo. Very handsome bird he will be!

5. NYRIR

NYRIR Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2010
    Petersburg,NY
    I am in the air on this one...leaning to roo but would think it would have more color in comb/wattles at 12 weeks...but those feathers say roo....so that's my guess [​IMG]

6. wilsonfarm416

May 15, 2011
    Brighton
    Well if she is a he I have another one that looks just like it which means I have 3roos and 2 hens not good odds.[​IMG] The wyndottes will have to go because they are aggressive.

7. Schwartzfarmnc

Schwartzfarmnc Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2010
    West Jefferson
    He/she does look somewhat rooish, but don't lose hope yet, both of my SLW's had red combs & wattles very early and both are big beautiful girls. I've attached one of the SLW's at 13 weeks for comparison. I'm 60/40 on yours right now, leaning pullet until a little older.
    [​IMG]

8. wilsonfarm416

May 15, 2011
    Brighton
    Thank you schwartfarmnc that is very helpful and gives me some hope I will keep waiting.

9. Toshi

Toshi Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2011
    IN corn state
    I would think pullet becuase i have one 1 week younger and it has reder cob and wattles and yours is more paler and hasn't yet got red so, i would say pullet even if the feathers look a little rooish.

Edited
    the reason i think a pullet here is a pic of mine ''pullet'' that i was sold, but i think it might be a roo, and mine liek i said is one week younger then yours

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 6, 2011
  10. Nicole01

Nicole01 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    I think you have a pullet. I have a 13 week GLW and she looks very similar to yours. The only difference with my girl, is that she has a black comb.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by