1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What gender is this 6-week-ish-old RIR (and 4-wk-old buff orp & 5-wk-old EEs)?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by iamcuriositycat, Jan 19, 2013.

1. iamcuriositycat

iamcuriositycat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    We bought this girl (WE HOPE) out of a bin from a local breeder right after the new year. We believe she was about 3-4 weeks old at the time, which makes her somewhere between 5.5 weeks to 6.5 weeks old now. We also bought several other breeds, and she is the only RIR, so I have no others to compare her with, plus the others are all about a week younger (approx.).

Temperament: Calm and friendly, eager to come out of the brooder and roam around. Bosses the other chickens and also looks out for them.

Now for the pics:

[​IMG]

Another from the side, facing the camera:

[​IMG]

From the other side:

[​IMG]

Close-up of comb:

[​IMG]

Another comb close-up:

[​IMG]

And finally, in the brooder with (different breed, slightly younger) other chicks:

[​IMG]

Thanks in advance for any help. We're really hoping this is a girl, as my son is excited about her speckled brown eggs. If not, I guess we'll have to try again with RIR eggs to hatch, I guess. :)

Last edited: Jan 19, 2013
  2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    6 weeks old? [​IMG] I am afraid that you have a cockerel.

1 person likes this.
  3. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    [​IMG]

the one in question is a cockerel and there is another cockerel in this pic an the right (only one with its head poking out and also the one with its head in the feeder is a cockerel

1 person likes this.
  4. iamcuriositycat

Jul 30, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    :( Darn. :(

That barred rock looks just like its sibling so.... both barred rocks are cockerels too then.

That leaves me two easter eggers and a buff orp that may be hens.

Darnit.

5. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Yeah, a six-ish week hen should have a barely noticable comb. Okay, a leghorn would have some comb, but not these American breeds. Sorry.

6. iamcuriositycat

Jul 30, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    K. I had my suspicions. So now I know. My son (who loves the RIR) took it really well. Now I'm gonna post pics of the EEs in the batch too. Does anyone have ideas about the buff orp in the upper left? She's the youngest of the lot, probably four weeks. I'll be back with more pics...

7. iamcuriositycat

Jul 30, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    Whoops. I forgot to say thank you. THANK YOU. Seriously. You guys totally rock. I love this community. <3

8. iamcuriositycat

Jul 30, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    K, here's the EEs. They are about 5 weeks.

[​IMG]

And here's the buff orp again:

[​IMG]

Fingers crossed!!!

9. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    those 3 look like pullets so far

10. iamcuriositycat

Jul 30, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    Whew. Okay. Bad luck on the roosters (the three that *may* be pullets were supposedly sexed out as pullets--the others were straight run--so three out of three roosters is pretty bad luck). But at least it looks like the three who were sold to me as girls may in fact be girls...

Thank you!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by