What gender is this Ameraucana?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by maceman121, Sep 7, 2014.

1. maceman121

maceman121 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 13, 2014
    [​IMG]

So, I have a number of Ameraucana since I had to do a straight run to get them, and I have been slowly transferring the cockerels to my freezer once they start to crow. So far two are down (from 11 birds), and I am confident they were males. Very distinct comb and they crowed both outside when I let them out (hence their fate) and inside in my temporary storage while they wait until later that day when I have time to prep them. I am pretty sure this is a cockerel thanks to the crowing (hearing crowing, mouth parted some and pretty sure it was him) that I heard. Stopped after I brought him inside, leading more to my belief I got the right guy. But the problem is this, his comb is not nearly as obvious as the other two were, and he hasn't crowed once since being brought inside (both of the others would still crow time to time). So I am a bit nervous that I got the wrong one and rather not remove a hen if I don't need.

I can add more pictures as needed if there is an angel or feature you wish to see.

2. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    I'm thinking cockerel, as I think I see saddle feathers near the tail. And, a crowing bird is almost always a rooster.

3. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Looks like a rooster to me. The crowing is one obvious sign.

4. fshinggrl

fshinggrl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    the edge of insanity
    Definite rooster.

5. maceman121

maceman121 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 13, 2014
    I know the crowing is an obvious sign (most hens don't crow, some supposedly do), but I wasn't positive that he was actually the one crowing. One among nine with a 3 year old chasing them makes it less than easy to be positive.

Thanks for the help :)..

6. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Your arm is partially blocking them, but it looks to me like he has the saddle feathers of a cockerel. Sorry. :eek:(

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by