What gender is this GLW (between 10/12 weeks old)?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by TXchickmum, Sep 18, 2012.

1. TXchickmum

TXchickmum Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2012
    North Texas
    [​IMG]

This little one was sexed as a pullet (purchased at about two weeks of age from a group of all pullets). Now, I am stumped on this one. She was very feathered with no comb/wattle development for about 4 weeks. She is the same size as the Black Australorp pullet we purchased at the same time. Her comb and wattles are very pronounced and "pink" compared to the Australorp, but obviously the comb types are different (and I understand that breeds may develop differently). -just wanted some honest opinions. -worried this might be a cockerel. Here are some pics from today:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    GLW on left, Australorp on right

Last edited: Sep 18, 2012
  2. TXchickmum

Apr 21, 2012
    North Texas
    Anyone? Pullet or cockerel???

3. akcountrygrrl

akcountrygrrl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2010
    Nenana, AK
    How old? Can we get a straight on pic of the comb?

4. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Pullet.

5. TXchickmum

Apr 21, 2012
    North Texas
    This isn't a good one, but it's as good as I can get.....for the moment. She will NOT get still - very active and running about.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

It is broad (but flat with no bumps at all). -pink but not red.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2012
  6. ChickenExtreme

ChickenExtreme Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2012

7. AlicesSilkies

AlicesSilkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Deffo pullet, shes pretty!!

8. PeakyBeaky

PeakyBeaky Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2010
    Bellefonte, PA
    Picture 2 has me thinking this is a boy-those tail feathers bug me. It stands like a rooster...keep an eye on it.

9. TXchickmum

Apr 21, 2012
    North Texas
    It is the most dominant acting of my new chicks. -also have a pair of Buff Orpington pullets that are about 4 weeks younger. It doesn't do any of the chest bumping stuff that my two banty roos did when they were this age. -does, however, raise her head and puff neck feathers out a bit from time to time at the others......but my Australorp does this as well, and I've noticed the Orpingtons will do this occasionally at one another. (All of the rest of my pullets have done this, also, when they were chicks running about.) I will definitely keep an eye on this one. (My little banty roos were already crowing by this age, albeit pitifully.) Thank you all for your input.

10. gardendufus

gardendufus Chillin' With My Peeps

I vote pullet. Looks a lot like my GLW pullet at 13 weeks. Also my most aggressive bird.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by