What Gender is this Marans?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by MamaHen18, Nov 24, 2011.

1. MamaHen18

MamaHen18 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 5, 2011
    Santa Rosa, California
    hi again !
    Can any one tell me what gender this Marans is please?
    the Marans is 8 months old now, not laying eggs but i saw him/her mount one of my hens. so i thought the he/she was a roo, but then i saw one of my hens mount another hen but they are both laying eggs. so i am very confused and unsure of the Marans gender. he/she is not singing.
    it would be great if you could help. please and thank you. [​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2. Poultrybonkers

Poultrybonkers Overrun With Chickens

Mar 22, 2011
    I would guess pullet. [​IMG]

3. MicheleC

MicheleC Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2011
    Lake Charles
    If it was a roo, wouldn't it have started to develop spurs by now? Not sure when that happens..

4. kari_dawn

kari_dawn Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2009
    North Texas
    at 8 months, I am going to go with pullet...the boys look pretty different than the girls, but the pics of the bird kinda make it difficult to tell...anyone know if an 8 month old roo would already have roo feathering? I think it would. Mounting can also be a show of dominance.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2011
  5. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    110% fbcm hen. at 8 months you would have lots of saddle feathers coming in red, wings would have more red and the hackles(neck) feathers would be all red with no black and they would be slinder and pointed as well if SHE was a he.

heres a site for you http://www.feathersite.com/Poultry/CGK/Marans/BRKMarans.html look about half way to a little less than half way for freanch black copper marans

Last edited: Nov 24, 2011
  6. MamaHen18

Aug 5, 2011
    Santa Rosa, California
    thank you all very much ! you were a big help [​IMG]

7. MamaHen18

Aug 5, 2011
    Santa Rosa, California
    hi ! guess what? it was a boy ! [​IMG]
    i guess he was younger than we thought he was. [​IMG]
    he started crowing a couple of months ago and right after that it was like he went through puberty, because he got huge and FAST. lol
    well good news is that the neighbors dont mind having a roo in the neighborhood so we get to keep him [​IMG][​IMG]
    i'll post a picture soon :D

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by