What Gender is this Marans?

MamaHen18

In the Brooder
8 Years
Aug 5, 2011
Santa Rosa, California
hi again !
Can any one tell me what gender this Marans is please?
the Marans is 8 months old now, not laying eggs but i saw him/her mount one of my hens. so i thought the he/she was a roo, but then i saw one of my hens mount another hen but they are both laying eggs. so i am very confused and unsure of the Marans gender. he/she is not singing.
it would be great if you could help. please and thank you.
smile.png

photo4-2-1.jpg
photo3-2-1.jpg
photo2-2-1.jpg
photo1-2-1.jpg

at 8 months, I am going to go with pullet...the boys look pretty different than the girls, but the pics of the bird kinda make it difficult to tell...anyone know if an 8 month old roo would already have roo feathering? I think it would. Mounting can also be a show of dominance.

Last edited:
110% fbcm hen. at 8 months you would have lots of saddle feathers coming in red, wings would have more red and the hackles(neck) feathers would be all red with no black and they would be slinder and pointed as well if SHE was a he.

heres a site for you http://www.feathersite.com/Poultry/CGK/Marans/BRKMarans.html look about half way to a little less than half way for freanch black copper marans

Last edited:
hi ! guess what? it was a boy !
lol.png

i guess he was younger than we thought he was.
idunno.gif

he started crowing a couple of months ago and right after that it was like he went through puberty, because he got huge and FAST. lol
well good news is that the neighbors dont mind having a roo in the neighborhood so we get to keep him
ya.gif
yesss.gif

i'll post a picture soon :D

Back
Top Bottom