1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

what gender is this road island red

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by tlb625, Jul 31, 2014.

1. tlb625

tlb625 In the Brooder

Apr 7, 2014
    Florida
    ok so I ordered some rir hens but one hen has the small comb and it's yellow but she has some tiny wattles that are red coming in. I'm on vacation and so my mom is taking care of them and sent pictures. they are not the best but try and tell me hen or roo. now she is five weeks old and she is all feathered out.[​IMG]

2. Caheen

Caheen In the Brooder

Aug 15, 2011
    Michigan
    Looks just like my 6 week old girl

3. tlb625

tlb625 In the Brooder

Apr 7, 2014
    Florida
    so a girl

4. Basskids08

Basskids08 Chick Logging

I'm going to say that at 5 weeks it's probably a cockerel. Pullets wouldn't have wattles like this yet. If you can get a better pic that would be great but until then it's looking like a cockerel.

5. leedyfeathers

leedyfeathers Chirping

Jul 21, 2014
    VA
    thats not very comforting my two girls are probably around 11weeks they have visible cobm and waddles. one has redder even and more of it. tail on one is strangest iv seen being that its vey curly like i can put my fingers at backside run it up the tail feathers and they accually curel around my fingers. feathers in general look kinda strange, messy looking? it starts from end of wings to tail. the other one has regular feathers and both were shipped same time they should be sisters

Last edited: Aug 1, 2014
  6. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    There is a very big difference between the development of comb and wattles one might expect to see at 5 weeks and at 11 weeks with regards to what that would mean with regards to gender indicatiors - I would suggest starting a thread and posting photos of your birds.

1 person likes this.
  7. tlb625

tlb625 In the Brooder

Apr 7, 2014
    Florida
    Hey guys my rir is now nine weeks and.I have others.that are eight.weeks and.every one has real tiny wattles.so every one is a girl except one also the reason is a girl it's because I compared my chickens to other roosters that same she and there rosters have HUGE combs. So I have.one roo and.five girls yaay

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: