what gender is this

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by lovesfarms, Sep 8, 2016.

1. lovesfarms

lovesfarms Out Of The Brooder

Sep 6, 2016
    [​IMG]
    So Goldie is 4 1/2 weeks old. I think s/he knew I was posting this picture cause try as I might, the tail always came on first. For a long time I thought she was a pullet because she feathered very young. Actually the first one with a long tail! But she turned on me and got a red comb and wattles. Am I confused or is she? A couple days ago I found her and another chick both bleeding. First I thought it was rats...then..were the two fighting with another rooster. Or were the two bleeding chicks pullets and fighting among the two of themselves? I'm trying to figure out if I have two many roosters...out of 8 chicks?

2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Lots of Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    A little better photo would be helpful. You may have to wait a few more weeks as well.

3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Photo isn't very clear. I agree you should wait a few weeks and post new ones. It's good to have a clear head shot showing comb development, and also a standing, natural profile in good lighting.

4. lovesfarms

Sep 6, 2016
    My birds are forever on the go. Either flying, jumping or preening themselves. As soon as I sit on the ground to get close up they take turns jumping on my lap and then go flying again. I can call chick, chick and they all come running to see if I have a treat, jump in my lap and go flying again! It is rare to get a good standing pose

5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    You get to see them all the time, we only get to see a photo at best. Makes it even harder for us.

6. rmita2010

rmita2010 New Egg

Sep 10, 2016
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Can I get some help here to see if I have roosters? I have five chickens. Two of them always fight. I'm not sure how old they are.

7. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    [​IMG]

They all look like cockerels to me.

8. rmita2010

rmita2010 New Egg

Sep 10, 2016
    [​IMG][/IMG]

How about these two? Thanks.

9. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    cockerel.

10. lovesfarms

Sep 6, 2016
    I started this when Goldie my gold laced wyandotte was 4 1/2 weeks old. Back then I was hoping for a lady. But he proved me wrong last week at 10 weeks old when he crowed.The other rooster crowed for the second time.He first crowed at 8 weeks old. I was opening their house real early in the dark so they could go out later in the day.I would be gone all day. I usually turn on the outside light and they see me coming. This time I was in a hurry and just grabbed a flashlight. They mustve thought Im a predator. They crowed so many times I was shocked to hear it and I shone my flashlight to see which ones are crowing and it set off a real frenzy. Thay havnt crowed since but sure doent trust me anymore! Goldie stamps his feet at me and jumped on my back. When I want to clean their house he'll sit between me and the door! I think he even told the pullets Im a danger because they keep their distance from me! They wont even eat clover from my hands anymore. The other rooster only crowed when I startled him early in the morning so Im thinking its a danger signal to protect the ladies. I will get some more pictures. Has anyone else had roosters thet only crow when in danger or startled?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by