What gender is this?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Gibson, May 16, 2010.

1. Gibson

Gibson New Egg

Mar 9, 2010
    Need help with this almost 3 month old RIR it was sold to us as a female but this one looks a little different. It's crest and wattle is more developed than the others, it's acts more aggressive and dominant over the other girls. It has some very shiny, blackish green feathers around the neck and the tail has very noticeable green feathers. The other RIRs don't have the greenish shine to the tail feathers only some black feathers and don't have a green cast. The color of this one's crest and wattle is noticeably red while the other chicks have orange crests and wattles. Just want to know if maybe it's just a more developed female or could be a male.

[​IMG]
    Side view
    [​IMG]
    Here you can see in the background one of the other RIRs and the crest isn't as developed on those. All the other girls have orange crests.
    [​IMG]
    Side view
    [​IMG]
    Face shot, looks like it's being strangled but it wasn't! Only way to get a front shot!
    [​IMG]
    Here are the green, shiny tail feathers, the picture doesn't do it justice. It didn't exactly want to cooperate for this photo shoot!

Last edited: May 16, 2010
  2. WhitehartRabbitry

WhitehartRabbitry Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2009
    Ohio
    Rooster.

3. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    yep, see those pointy feathers in front of the tail, sickle saddle feathers, roos get them [​IMG]

4. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    roo roo roo ...sorry:-(

5. Gibson

Gibson New Egg

Mar 9, 2010
    Thanks for the answers, I suspected it was a male originally but when I went back to the feed lot the man that sold them told me he had only ordered females. Right now he's not crowing or anything so he can stay for now! Thanks again:)

6. jossanne

jossanne Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2008
    Gila, New Mexico
    I agree, you've got a roo there. And FYI, that's a comb, not a crest. [​IMG] A crest is the big poof of feathers on a polish, silkie, etc. Have fun with them!

7. Backyard_Chicken_rancher

Backyard_Chicken_rancher Chillin' With My Peeps

Yep it is a roo I got one myself (I got it as a packing peanut from the feed store when they order them they don't always get pullets I should know I bought all female PBR and ended up with 2 roos out of it plus the RIR roo so I got 3 roos from buying 6 chicks so it doesn't always work out.
    None of them are crowing so it's all good but when they do it's dinner for sure.......

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by