What gender is this!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by ilikehorses2, Oct 16, 2012.

1. She/he has a little comb that looks like this... This is not my chickens.
    [​IMG]

This is jellybeans at 1 day old.

[​IMG]

This is jellybeans at 11 days old. she/he was starting to get the little comb like the picture above!
    [​IMG]

Thanks!

Last edited: Oct 16, 2012
  2. chefchick

chefchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2011
    I think it's too early to tell :)

3. Any helpful hints about taking care of chickens? This is my first time.

4. TimBaumann

TimBaumann Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2012
    Namibia
    If you have a dog or other larger animal that would like to kill them never think that their are completely safe! I thought my first 4 chicken were safe from my dog but he killed them all while I was at school! I'm still angry at myself today! [​IMG] Other than that I guess just make sure they stay in a relatively clean environment, have fresh food and water. There are way more experienced members on here so I'll leave all the tiny details to them! [​IMG] Congrats on getting your first chicken!

5. I have a dog but she's as small as the chicken. She's full grown.[​IMG]

6. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    But they're still predators. Ferrets are small but will take down a full grown bird without hesitation.

7. Yikes! It's good she can't be in with the chickens! She loves humans but hates other animals! We have a muzzle for her!

8. Dylan Haley

Dylan Haley Out Of The Brooder

Sep 9, 2012
    is she trained? we have a pit bull named sadie she is about 1 1/2 years old and she is huge and when we let her around the chickens all she wants to do is eat their feed and play with them. the chickens ride on her back and all so i think if you spent a little time introducing her to the chickens you could actually let her where they are. i spent alot of time and trained my dog very well so she does pretty much whatever i tell her lol

9. I will try training her...

10. Dylan Haley

Dylan Haley Out Of The Brooder

Sep 9, 2012
    the best way is to get her on her leash and have someone else hold the chicken and just let the dog smell the chicken for a while. and slowly work to letting both of them go together!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by