1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What gender is this?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by CozyFanatic, Mar 19, 2015.

1. CozyFanatic

CozyFanatic Out Of The Brooder

Mar 7, 2015
    East Tennessee
    [​IMG]
    This chicken is about 4 months old and I'm not sure if it's a roo or a pullet. It has no feathers like a rooster, but it doesn't look like a hen either! Oh, and it was hatched from an Old English Bantam egg I ordered from eBay.
    Anyone have any ideas? Thanks!

Last edited: Mar 19, 2015
  2. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Would vote that's a young cockerel, he is just starting to get in those dark orange feathers coming in on his shoulders and saddle.

3. CozyFanatic

Mar 7, 2015
    East Tennessee
    Awesome, thank you! I need him to be a "he" cause I have 3 little hens and no rooster! Thanks to a darn hawk!

4. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Cockerel.

5. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    It is a Crele Old English Game cockerel.

6. CozyFanatic

Mar 7, 2015
    East Tennessee
    Yep, he's a cockerel alright! He crowed for the first time 3 days ago! And also today when I put another bantam rooster in the pen with him and the 4 hens, he attacked this rooster just like a storm! I had to put the other rooster inside a small cage/fence and put him a bed/bucket in there and I'm going to let him stay in there till they get used to him. Hope they do...cause I have two little Mille Fleur hens who both attacked him! No one was hurt though....thank goodness!

Thanks for all your replies, everyone! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by