1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What gender might these be?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by GoodLuckCharlie!, Aug 14, 2011.

1. GoodLuckCharlie!

GoodLuckCharlie! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    [​IMG]

These are 3 Trader Joe chicks, about 6 days old...I thought I read somewhere someone could look at the wings and be able to tell the gender at a certain age. does that work here for my chicks? There's one solid layer of feathering, and then a lower layer that's longer.
    Thanks,
    Laura

2. CarlaS

CarlaS Out Of The Brooder

Aug 13, 2011
    It's really hard to tell before they start developing combs and wattles. So they are still way to young to tell as far as I know. I am really interested in that wing thing. Hopefully some more people can help you out who have more experience with this particular thing. Good Luck!

3. K8tieCat

K8tieCat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2007
    Northern California
    I did the same thing with Trader Joe eggs. The chicks are now three weeks old. I can't tell what gender they are either, but am hoping for girls. This much I know, they are White Leghorns. So far in observing them, they appear to be girls, but probably won't really know until one begins to crow.

[​IMG]

4. pdsavage

pdsavage Sussex Monarch

Mar 27, 2008
    NW,Missouri
    The breeder flock for the female line must be slow feathering only, and the breeder flock for the male line must be fast feathering only. To breed for the chicks you would then cross the slow feathering females with the fast feathering males. The resulting offspring would be the opposite of their parents. Females fast feathering and the males slow feathering.

http://www.motherearthnews.com/Sustainable-Farming/1974-05-01/How-to-Sex-Day-Old-Chicks.aspx

http://www.feathersite.com/Poultry/CGP/Sex-links/BRKFeathSex.html

5. GoodLuckCharlie!

GoodLuckCharlie! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    I originally got the Trader Joe eggs as an experiment with my kids to see if they would hatch, and planned on giving them away if they hatch, but, they're so cute! Since I picked some other breeds that are a little slower and smaller in egglaying I'll keep them for the eggs and meat [​IMG]. But they're so cute!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by