What Gender on Oddball chicks?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by micheleomal, Mar 21, 2015.

1. micheleomal

micheleomal Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2014
    Eastern Idaho
    I have 2 chicks that I hatched that are the only ones of their breeds to hatch. It is hard to compare chicks when they are the only ones. If you could help me sex them I would appreciate it.
    Chick 1: Salmon Faverolle age 23 days[​IMG]
    Primary feathers came in black, but now there seems to be more tan, "shoulder" feathers are more tan.
    [​IMG]
    Chick 2; Light Brahma 18 days old ( I know these are notoriously hard to sex at this age)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I was just hoping that the tail and wing feathers might be an indicator. It's just so hard without another one to compare to.

2. cityfarmer12

cityfarmer12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2014
    Missouri
    i am no expert, so someone please correct me if i'm wrong. the salmon looks like a boy to me judging by wing feathers because i have a salmon about the same age they has light tanish pink feathers...WAY lighter than yours.

3. keesmom

keesmom Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    MA
    The Faverolles chick is a cockerel.

4. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    I agree the Faverolles is a cockerel. The dark coloring in its flight feathers is a dead giveaway. The Light Brahmas are too young to sex accurately at this age. I would suggest posting again in about 5 weeks. By then their gender should be obvious.

5. micheleomal

micheleomal Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2014
    Eastern Idaho
    Thank you for the replies. I will keep the Faverolles a bit longer then put him up for sale. I wish I could keep a rooster. This breed has the most spectacular roos! I'll post the light brahma pics in a few weeks for an update. I also have some BCM chicks about 4 weeks old that look alike so I can't tell with them either. I'll post them in a couple weeks too.

6. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    x2

7. dragon30276

dragon30276 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2014
    Senoia, GA
    male for first not sure on second

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by