What gender? Polish and Frizzle Cochin.

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by JeepersCreepers, Apr 18, 2016.

1. JeepersCreepers

JeepersCreepers Out Of The Brooder

Dec 11, 2012
    Greenville, SC
    Can anyone tell yet if these are hens or roos? I think these are a little more clear than the others I posted before. Do I need to wait more for the crest on the Polish?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 19, 2016
  2. SilkieQuack

SilkieQuack Out Of The Brooder

Apr 18, 2016
    New Jersey
    It depends on what you want. If you want crowing, slight aggressiveness and a chicken to watch over your flock a rooster is right for you. If you want lots of eggs and a gentle nature, or possibly a broody mother get hens and no roosters at all. Also roosters tend to fight smaller chickens.

3. Chicken Girl1

Chicken Girl1 Loving the Autumn Weather Premium Member

Mar 3, 2015
    Virginia
    The only cockerel I see is the first frizzle Cochin.

4. JeepersCreepers

Dec 11, 2012
    Greenville, SC
    That's the one I was thinking since-his comb has already started-the best I can tell with the feathers on the wings too -is they look pretty even :(

5. Chicken Girl1

Chicken Girl1 Loving the Autumn Weather Premium Member

Mar 3, 2015
    Virginia
    If you can keep a rooster I would definitely keep him, Cochins are very docile (and adorable!).

6. JeepersCreepers

Dec 11, 2012
    Greenville, SC
    If he is too loud, I can't. They are allowed in the county. but I have 1 neighbor who might mind . I don't want to cause any ill feelings. I prefer to live peaceably with people too! I would love to keep a roo though. I think they help keep the hens in line sometimes! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by