What gender? (RIR, Buff Orp, Black Aussie, Barred Rock)

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by janice, Apr 12, 2009.

1. janice

janice New Egg

Apr 12, 2009
    Hoping for hens, but i have never been around chickens before, and they're all 4 different breeds, so i can't compare to each other! These are 4-5weeks. Is it too soon to tell? Thanks so much!

RIR -
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Barred Rock-
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Buff Orpington -
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Black Australorp -
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. bethandjoeync

bethandjoeync Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2009
    Iron Station, NC
    it's hard to tell (but I'm no pro) I know for my reds that are becoming more obvious roos, other than the combs being larger and redder, my hubby and I noticed shimmering tail feathers, like a roo would have. beautiful colors that a pullet just wouldn't have. take a look at the tail feathers in a good light to see if any "pretty" feathers are there. I know that wouldn't be a sure sign but could give you an idea. Oh and mine are 3 1/2 weeks old, so your's have more feathers than mine as of right now. good luck! and I am sure a pro will chime in with more informed/educated guess to help you out

3. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Roo
    Pullet
    Pullet
    I'm thinking Pullet?

4. janice

janice New Egg

Apr 12, 2009
    Thanks for the quick response! - janice

5. sherrydeanne

sherrydeanne Chillin' With My Peeps

Number 1's stance is very rooish, but that comb looks awfully yellow and I don't see red wattles yet. Give it a week, we'll know by then. [​IMG] The others look like pullets.

6. ears73

ears73 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2008
    Westchester, NY
    I've got some mutts from a BLRW roo that are about the same age and at least 4 have wattles developing under their chin. Do any of yours have that? I found early wattles to be a good indicator, but it might depend on breed.

7. janice

janice New Egg

Apr 12, 2009
    Thanks again for the responses.

I haven't seen any sign of wattles for any of them. Also, i may have accidentally created a misleading posture for the because I was holding something above in the air to get the RIR to stand up for the picture.

This one is also the most calm of the bunch. Loves to be held. I'll just have to wait another week or two to find out. So I'll be patient. [​IMG] Thanks again. First-timers like me really appreciate the help.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by