WHAT GENDER?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by kjsgems, May 14, 2009.

1. kjsgems

kjsgems New Egg

Apr 15, 2009
    I am new to chickens and have been lurking around here on BYC what a great site! I am wondering if I have a couple of roo's. I do not know how old they are bought them at a store have had them about a month. Have fallen in love with them already and especially Tweet the one I think is a roo. I have found a home for him if he is a he so here we go.
    This is Tweet! BO
    [​IMG]
    This is Tweet and Goldilocks. BO
    [​IMG]
    This is Rosie who also looks suspicious as a roo. EE
    [​IMG]
    This is Fluffy An EE
    [​IMG]
    This is Sasafrace Black Sx Link
    [​IMG]
    And finally Super Girl Bl Sx Link
    [​IMG]
    Thank you for helping out!

Last edited: May 14, 2009
  2. pinkfeather

pinkfeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 3, 2007
    CT
    Tweet is the only rooster I see. You can tell that the black sex-links are hens by their color. If they were roosters, they'd be barred.

3. fancyfowl4ever

fancyfowl4ever Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2008
    Cranbrook, BC, Canada
    Can you see distinct bumbs on Rosies comb? Her comb looks very pink for an EE that age so I am thinking Roo with her as well as Tweet.

4. Tweet is going to be a stunning little man when he grows up!

5. SpringChickens

SpringChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2009
    College Station, Tx
    I hope Tweet's new home appreciates him!

6. kjsgems

kjsgems New Egg

Apr 15, 2009
    Thank you for your input it is not that I don't appreciate Tweet he is one of my favorites he always greets me and lets me scratch his belly. I am new to chickens and do not want to have to worry about fertile eggs. As for Rosie if a roo I will find a great home for him also. I hope you are not trying to say that I am ungrateful for them because that is not the case.

7. Why are you worried about Fertile Eggs?

Perhaps we can ease your fears and you won't need to rehome Tweet. Nearly all of us eat fertile eggs, there is literally no difference. Grocery store eggs have been known to be fertile and some people here have hatched them!
    If you are worried about the chance of cracking open an egg and finding a chick, well as long as you collect your eggs daily that wouldn't happen.
    A Roo can be a good thing for a flock, is he needed for eggs? No. But he can be a protector and "husband" of the flock. They take care of the hens, showing them the good nest boxes to use, bringing them choice morsels of food or showing them where a good bug is, etc.

If you have a legitimate reason for not wanting to keep him that's fine too [​IMG]

8. danielbrown

danielbrown Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2009
    Spartanburg, sc
    For eating there is no difference between a fertile and a infertile egg.
    Its a good idea to collect the eggs everyday anyway.

As long as you don't take eggs from a broody hen or incubator you won't find anything inside them. I wouldn't eat infertile eggs that had been incubated for a while any way.

You may find a "blood spot" in an egg, but that has nothing to do with being fertile, And it is still edible.

9. noitulover

noitulover Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2009
    Central Virginia
    tweet is the only roo i think!

10. ArizonaDesertChicks

ArizonaDesertChicks Eggstactic for Pretty Eggs

Dec 8, 2008
    Glendale, AZ
    I agree with everybody else - Tweet is the only roo. Your two EE's have pullet coloring and so do the black sexlinks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by