what gender

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by 1hippiechick, Nov 16, 2014.

1. 1hippiechick

1hippiechick Out Of The Brooder

Oct 22, 2014
    Texas
    ok im going to post some pics I understand if its hard to tell but 2 of my so called hens are starting to crow and I think I have more roosters than hens. They were supposed to all be females I have a few with bloody heads and im trying to sort them out but easier said then done cuz I can tell what is what lol. Any help or advise would be great I have done some research but with Domineckers its just hard for me to tell.[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Percheron chick

Percheron chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2013
    Boulder, Colorado
    I'm seeing all boys with the Dominiques. I'm basing that on the whiteness of the barring (hens would be darker) and the wattles/combs.

3. Kev

Kev Overrun With Chickens

Jan 13, 2008
    Sun City, California
    Yeah looks likely you were tripped up big time, with this breed it usually is relatively easy to guess gender of day old chicks- the head spot is much bigger and the body lighter/grayer on boys. Check online for pictures of cuckoo Marans in particular. Chick and adult pictures, compare the amount of white.

As mentioned all of them are very 'light' colored plus large combs already.. all boys for sure.

4. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    They all look like roosters to me.

5. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    I think that they are all males.

6. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    X5 on all cockerels. Sorry. :eek:(

7. 1hippiechick

Oct 22, 2014
    Texas
    Thank u all so much this is very much what I thought :( now I guess I have a bunch of boys for sale. :(

8. 1hippiechick

Oct 22, 2014
    Texas
    At least it was someone I know and they were free they had so many maybe too many Idk . So hopefully I can get more I sure love the breed very sweet and for a bunch of boys they have been pretty good. But with the age they are approaching and 2 crowing...I was really needing to know for sure. Thanks again

9. Kev

Kev Overrun With Chickens

Jan 13, 2008
    Sun City, California
    If you want to try again and they are breeding purebreds- really recommend looking at pictures comparing the spot and color difference on day old or feathered out birds.

10. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    They are for sure all males

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by