What Gender?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by sandesnow, Mar 28, 2015.

1. sandesnow

sandesnow Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 20, 2013
    Nova Scotia Canada
    Probably too early yet. Will be 5 weeks Tuesday

Hatched out some of my own eggs. Mother: Red Sexlinks Father: EE

Moms: [​IMG]

Dad:
    [​IMG]

Babies:

Midget:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Screech:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Nugget:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Gidget:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I am almost certain that Midget is a male. He was the last hatched, yet has a fairly pink comb and pink waddles starting to developed. The others, not sure yet.

2. Lady of McCamley

Lady of McCamley Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2011
    NW Oregon
    I agree the only possible looking roo in the batch right now is Midget...but that's still not enough comb to make it a slam dunk.

I'd also watch the black and white patterned one as they often is male in the EE world. But, you've got mixed breeds, so no rules really follow as to feather coloring or patterns (like EE's have).

I find the best indicator for mutts to be the comb, but still watch for red wing bars developing and patchy color patterns...but if you see no real comb growth be aware that mutts can change color patterns rather significantly between molts as they grow. I've seen the patterns get very blotchy (oh no roo!) then clean up again (ah, yes, hen). I also see my mutts tend to mature a bit faster so the girl's combs will get peachy sooner than you'd expect...but the boys will get the true red in their combs, and larger combs, soonest.

My barnyard mixes are a lot of fun and hardy layers.

Enjoy
    LofMc

3. Chicken Girl1

Chicken Girl1 Queen of the Coop Premium Member

Mar 3, 2015
    Virginia
    Agreed.

4. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    x2

5. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Midget looks like your only possible cockerel to me.

6. sandesnow

sandesnow Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 20, 2013
    Nova Scotia Canada
    So... 2 weeks later. :p Unfortunately, we lost Gidget (Which really ended up being a Gideon..) He was the one that stayed true to the EE Roo coloring, the light with the grey/black with splashes of red randomly on the wings here and there. When he was young, had a slipped tendon, I thought we had 'fixed' it, but.. it got worse and worse over time, so I culled him after giving him a once over to see how his health was doing, he really was not able to compete to eat. Was sad and hard to do, but.. well, you know. =(

Now to the new pics. This is the 4 in their new (Crib) Grow out brooder. 7 weeks tomorrow.

[​IMG]

Screech: The EE beard on this one started out brown, but looks to be turning black like their father.
    [​IMG]

Nugget: Biggest of the 4 also has a nice white fluffy beard. lol
    [​IMG]

Nugget, Screech, Midget:
    [​IMG]

Smudge, No beard as of yet.
    [​IMG]

Midget being like himself... gotta be the center of attention. This one also makes different sounds than the others.. Not sure if he is trying to crow or not, but it sounds quite funny. lol His comb is a pea comb, where there is a center larger, and two on the sides. (Which will be good for winters!)
    Unlike the others, Midget has a more yellow leg and feet... there is a tint of green, but only just. On his own, you couldn't really see the tint.
    [​IMG]

Soooo... I am nearly almost certain that I have 3 ladies and a gent. Sound about right??
    The other we lost, was also starting to grow very noticeable and very pinkish red waddles.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2015
  7. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Midget appears to be your only cockerel. I'm sorry about Gidget.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by