1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What genders are my polish and barred rock?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by candychick, Sep 22, 2012.

1. candychick

candychick Out Of The Brooder

Sep 22, 2012
    US
    I got some chicks for my pet chicken who has been alone since her one friend died, i wanted to know if 2 of them were male or female. My barred rock was guaranteed to be a female but is much bigger than the other and more developed. I got my polish from the bantam bin at myers hatchery so I have no idea about that one. Here are there pics.

This is my polish I am guessing its a hen but im not sure
    [​IMG]

This is my Barred Rock. I am guessing its a male
    [​IMG]

2. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

How old are they??

3. kennita2001

kennita2001 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 8, 2011
    I have no idea on polish but your barred rock looks to be female as its too dark and doesnt have enough red to be male
    I would guess about eight weeks old ish but someone with more experience can prob give a more accurate answer

4. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    how old are they? the barred looks like a pullet but cant tell on the polish, can you get shots of them standing on their own and comb shots please

5. candychick

Sep 22, 2012
    US
    Thanks and they are about 7 week old

6. Y N dottes

Y N dottes Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2012
    South Central WI
    The BR definitly looks like a pullet

7. candychick

Sep 22, 2012
    US
    Does anyone know if the polish is a pullet or cockerel?

8. Tricoglossus

Tricoglossus Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2012
    Perth, Western Australia
    More photos required please! Head shot, comb, and the bird standing on its own from the front and the side so the size of the legs can be assessed.

9. candychick

Sep 22, 2012
    US
    OK, Here are a couple more pictures one is of the side and one is it walking i tried to get a comb shot but it wasnt really cooperating. So i hope this helps.

This is the side pic it wasnt very good but hopefully you can see more of the comb.
    [​IMG]

Here is the walking pic i couldnt get the chick to keep its head up so i hope thats ok.
    [​IMG]

10. Tricoglossus

Tricoglossus Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2012
    Perth, Western Australia
    Looks like a pullet at this stage, but it may be too young to know for sure just yet.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by