1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What genetics contribute to egg size?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ChickenFox, Jan 28, 2015.

1. ChickenFox

ChickenFox Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2013
    West Virginia
    I've been pondering something the past few days. Last summer I bought some project ee bantam hatching eggs off a fellow and hatched them out. Now he was trying to get a new bantam ameraucana color going and so was crossing LF with bantam ams and breeding back and so on and so forth. Now I hatched out several and all but one were just slightly bigger than the average banty.

The one grew to be taller if leaner than my pure LF ams. He also happened to be pure white so I held on to him when I had to downsize my flock this month.

Now I'm thinking about crossing him with my white leg horn to make some SBELs. The only thing holding me back is I'm not too sure on how the egg size of the offspring is determined.

Since he was hatched from a banty egg does that mean his offspring will more likely lay much smaller eggs than the jumbo I get from the leghorn? I'm wanting to make a large blue egg layer but I'm worried the muddled genetics from the roo will give me LF that lay a banty size egg. Thoughts?

2. rainbowrooster

rainbowrooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 26, 2011
    I think you would be much better off using a large white Ameraucana. You will know the genetics and you wont be wasting time $ money hoping that your cross pays off after several years of selective breeding.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by