What gives?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by bills, Feb 21, 2008.

1. bills

bills Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2008
    vancouver island
    I was pleasently suprised when I got an egg the first day I got my pullets. Two days passed and yet another egg. Then it all stopped. I suspect that just one bird was laying, but how/why it stopped after the first two is a mystery.

I didn't really expect any eggs for a few weeks, as I was told this by the breeder. The birds were supposed to be 18 weeks old, but I think the one bird that was laying, may have been a few weeks older. I have lights in the hen house to allow for the optimal light hours laying birds need, so I doubt it is moulting.

Could the change of environment have stopped egg production??[​IMG]

2. chickflick

chickflick Overrun With Chickens

Mar 10, 2007
    Dimondale
    Yes, the change could affect the laying. Give them a few days to get back on schedule. It's also good to give them a break in laying....how would like to give birth almost every day! lol

3. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    I wouldn't be surprised if they stop laying for several weeks. The stress of a new environment has an affect on egg laying and can even force a moult. I'm sure she'll come around when she settles in.

Jody

4. Churkenduse

Churkenduse Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2008
    Hens always have a one or two eggs inside waiting to grow. So probably that is the two she laid. Then she stopped because of the new surroundings.

I adopted 2 hens about 1 year old and they stopped for a couple of months, so consider yourself lucky you got those, they will come again.
    And they will keep coming.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. bills

bills Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2008
    vancouver island
    Quote:At this young point in their lives, they haven't had to face the rigors of giving birth everyday. I really can't imagine what that must be like, but I guess that's what they are meant to do.[​IMG]

I will keep an eager eye out for the next egg. I hope like heck that they haven't been eating the rare one that is layed, as I put a golf ball on the floor of the coop to see what they thought of that. I had it sitting in the nest box the last few days, which didn't seem to draw any interest. The whole bunch of them started to peck away at it like it was lunch, which worried me.:eek:

The birds don't seem the least bit interested in the nest box's. The first two eggs were layed on the floor. I think they may just be to young yet, but at least one of them did lay, as I have proof in the frying pan...[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by