What gives?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by PintoLvr, Aug 28, 2013.

1. PintoLvr

PintoLvr New Egg

May 27, 2013
    I would really appreciate any guidance with my girls and they egg laying. I have three chickens. One is 7 months, Maggie. One is 5 1/2 months, Pearl, and lastly there's Betty, who is 4 1/2 months. Maggie has laid, almost everyday for about a month. A few weeks ago, there were two eggs in the nesting box for a couple of days, so I suspect Pearl was contributing, That was it for the two eggs, and Maggie has been very consistant. So what gives with Pearl? She's fine and healthy. Thanks for any help!

2. ChirpyChicks1

ChirpyChicks1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2013
    4.5 months is young, normal laying age (Depending on breed and time of year) is between 18-22 weeks old.

3. PintoLvr

PintoLvr New Egg

May 27, 2013
    I don't think the 4 1/2 month old is laying yet. Wasn't expecting her to at this age, but the 5 1/2 month old just laid two eggs a few weeks ago and that was it. That is my question, is this normal to lay two eggs in two days, then nothing? Thanks for any help fellow chicken lovers!

4. ChirpyChicks1

Jul 22, 2013
    Sorry, got confused. But yes it's completely normal for a chicken to lay and then not again for awhile. Their bodies are trying to figure it all out. What are their breeds?

5. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    When my 15 pullets started laying I found 7 eggs in one nest box. I didn't see another egg for 4 weeks. Then for a few weeks they laid all kinds of strange looking soft shells along with normal eggs. Sometimes it takes time to get the production line in gear.

6. PintoLvr

PintoLvr New Egg

May 27, 2013
    Quote:Ok, whew, then I feel better and will try to be more patient. I love them dearly and want the very best for them. Maggie is a silver laced Wyandotte. Pearl is a Black Star. And Betty (White) is a Delaware. Thank you so much for setting my mind at ease!

7. ChirpyChicks1

Jul 22, 2013
    You're welcome! It's funny how these silly creatures become our babies lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by