1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

what goes where ???

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by MamaChic21, Dec 5, 2010.

1. MamaChic21

MamaChic21 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2010
    Jackson, NJ
    I have to relocated the chicken/duck run because it's in a bad place. It accumulates mud in and all around the chicken run. I'm only limited to certain area due to the wind and sun position. The ideal place for them, unfortunately has 2 huge trees and a hill, so It's very difficult and challenging to cover the top. They need a small roofed area and the rest covered with chicken wire. Since the run is kind of tilted due to the small hill, I've put sand, pine chips,hay, and covered one area where the rain comes from and even put stepping stones inside because when I go inside the run, I step on the mud knowing my foot won't come back easily.

My husband says wait until spring but he also said that this winter will be worst then last year (last year, we didn't have chickens). I don't know what to do anymore :-(
    This has been bothering me for 3 months now, I no longer want to feel this way and I just want to enjoy my chicks and ducks. I can't clarify my head since I've became obsessed about it, maybe someone out there can look at my BYC page and give me an idea, please....

2. BooBear

BooBear Chicken Cuddler

Oct 7, 2010
    Conroe, Texas
    The current spot of your coop looks to be where the water is running down the hill for natural drainage.
    Sounds like you really don't want to have to walk further out to have access to the poultry.
    You will enjoy them more if they are easier to get to and the location has access to running water to fill and clean with.

If you like the location it currently is at then I would recommended building the spot up with river sand about a good foot atleast. If the muck is seeping through the floor of your coop then you need to raise it higher off the ground. Put it up on cylinder blocks (how high you need it will determine how many cylinder blocks to use. ) If you build up the coop with sand make sure to build up under the coop as well when you raise it. This will help keep water from pooling under the coop and getting stagnet.

Being this is a natural area for the water to run through; I would slope the sand down to the natural grade around the coop to encourage the water to drain away from the coop. You could also make a drainage pond for the ducks utilizing the natural drain flow of the water.

The reason I suggest the sand is because sand is course and the water will drain through the sand.

You have a lovely piece of property. I like the hill in the background.

3. MamaChic21

Dec 2, 2010
    Jackson, NJ
    great idea, thank you but my 3 ducks love to eat sand for some reason. I've put 2 bags of sand around their pond and now it's finished. They eat the sand and drink from their pond, I don't know why :) When I did the sand, pine chips and hay, when it rains, they get pushed right to the door and between the fence. I would love to relocate it. If we choose the perfect spot for them, I'm goint to get the plumber guy to have me a sink there or something and electrian to run some wire there.
    If this was your backyard, where would you have put chicken coop and run ? Up in the hill, or across from that to the corner or somewhere else ?

P.S I'm also a crazy cat and chic lady too but this crazy mama is going to loose it soon :)

Last edited: Dec 5, 2010
  4. HEChicken

HEChicken Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    Instead of moving the coop, I would dig a trench to redirect the water around the coop instead of through it.

5. MamaChic21

Dec 2, 2010
    Jackson, NJ
    Yeah I think I might have to do that for this winter and relocate them next spring

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by