What goose lays the most eggs per year?

Discussion in 'Geese' started by Marty1876, Feb 17, 2012.

1. Marty1876

Marty1876 Hi Everyone!

I feel silly starting a thread for this, but I promised my artist friend I'd ask.

Shes bought a place with land, and a 2 acre fenced yard. She loves to work with goose eggs, and likes to do cut out patterns and then enamel and paint them....really lovely. Now she wants geese for eggs, and has no other preference. Not to eat, just to look at and lay eggs for her art.

Any suggestions my goose oriented fellow avarians?? She did not express any concern about friendliness or noise, but I warned her. Told her sebastopol (sp?) maybe friendliest, and the bigger the goose, the bigger the egg, but you know how artists are.

Can she mix multiple geese breeds without problems (other than cross breeding?)

Thanks so much! [​IMG]

2. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    The Chinese are supposed to lay the most eggs and have the longest laying season.

3. Marty1876

Marty1876 Hi Everyone!

I can make my ducks keep laying by keeping them with light min. of 12 hours per day. Can you do anything for geese, or is it just spring and summer (if you don't let them sit?)

Thanks so much, truly.

4. Poultrybonkers

Poultrybonkers Overrun With Chickens

Mar 22, 2011
    Increase day light works for any bird I think. :)

5. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    You might get them to start laying earlier, but the greylag geese have a short laying season and stop laying before the days get short. Perhaps the swan geese will respond to increased light? They have a longer laying season.

6. sianara

sianara Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2007
    Central MA
    Check out this breed comparison from Metzer Farms. They are wonderful people to deal with. I've got several different duck breeds from them for 9 years. My newest purchase from them is a pair of pilgrim goslings coming at the end of April and I am sooooo looking forward to having them!!!

http://www.metzerfarms.com/GooseBreedComparison.cfm

7. Marty1876

Marty1876 Hi Everyone!

Wow, what a great link! Didn't know there was that much info even known about them..fertility,egg size, qty, weight, even wedding ability?

Your a superstar Goose Girl! [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 18, 2012
  8. sianara

sianara Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2007
    Central MA
    Check out Metzers entire website. It is chock FULL of information on waterfowl. Plus, if you sign up for their newsletter emails you will get even more info as well as videos and pictures.

9. Marty1876

Marty1876 Hi Everyone!

Amiga?

10. Marty! :D

What are you up to?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by