What got me hen? Great horned owl? hawk? Dog? HELP!!!!

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by BookWorm243, Nov 25, 2010.

1. BookWorm243

BookWorm243 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 13, 2010
    Franklin, NC
    I let my 5 hens out yesterday morning and left the house at 8:00 I got home a 1:00 to find only 4 hens. I searched and searched but no sign of her or of any feathers from her. The rest of my hens where perfectly happy like nothing happened. We have neighborhood dogs, hawks and we have heard some owl noises around here. I did some reading and found out that we have the Great Horned Owl around this area, could it be a owl? She was a EE and was around 6-8 pounds. There where no signs of her being attacked and every one else was fine.

Any Ideas
    Thanks

2. prairiehen74369

prairiehen74369 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2010
    north east oklahoma
    If it was an overcast day it could have been an owl--- but I really belief it was a hawk because they swoop down and catch their prey and fly away with it to eat it , no evidence left behind .Owls preferr to hunt at night their eyesight is ajusted so they can hunt in the dark . Overcast foggy early mornings suit them as well. Both of these predators will continue to come back as long as they can make a easy meal.

3. BookWorm243

Oct 13, 2010
    Franklin, NC
    I was overcast that morning. We have tree hawks around here. We have never had a problem with the hawks. We have had the chickens for about 10 months now. A hawk can carry that much weight off?

Thanks

4. BookWorm243

Oct 13, 2010
    Franklin, NC
    Also are land is very wooded, if this helps at all.

Thanks

5. billrey

billrey Out Of The Brooder

Sep 9, 2010
    Fox and Coyotes will carry the chicken off too, but some feathers are left behind at the site of the killing. Owls, will eat on the spot as will some of the smaller hawks. The Redtailed hawk will and can carry away a 5-6 pound bird. I've had problems with fox and owls! Unfortunate part of keeping chickens!

6. BookWorm243

Oct 13, 2010
    Franklin, NC
    Thanks for the postings [​IMG]

Also there where no feathers I checked every where. Also about 5 months ago we had a dog attack and kill one of our chickens, and the rest of them where out of sorts for a good while. When i got home it was like nothing happened they ran to greet me and where as happy as could be. Thats why I am pretty sure that it was not something that came on the property ( I could be way off tho [​IMG] ) Also my dogs where out while I was gone to and they are very protective of the chickens and the property, my one dog does not let anything walk onto the property that she does not know. Right now I have no clue what got her, so I am keeping the in a large dog lot for now ( bigger than a 10x20 ) Would getting a rooster help? I have head that the rooster will protect the hens, is this true?

Thank You [​IMG]

7. billrey

Sep 9, 2010
    My rooster, Rudy, seems to protect his hens from my dog, Gurl, who wouldn't hurt the hens. Most often, when Gurl is out in the yard, Rudy is always between the dog and the hens. I am going to get him some help next spring as I increase my flock, I will bring on more roosters. I would also like to find a Great Pyrenees or something simular I can leave in the yard during all hours and seasons to protect all my critters.

8. BookWorm243

Oct 13, 2010
    Franklin, NC
    What breed of rooster would be best for protecting my girls?

9. sharol

sharol Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2010
    Admire, KS
    Let's see. No feathers anywhere, chickens not traumatized. Is it possible that she wandered off and got stuck somewhere? Someone posted the other day either here or on my other chicken list that she had found her pullet in the middle of a roll of barbed wire near the house after being missing for 3 days. someone else said that her pullet had gotten stuck under an overturned water bucket and died before they found her weeks later.

How free range are they? Inside a fence? How tame are they?

The lack of feathers makes we wonder if she is around somewhere stuck under a bucket or barrel or caught up in a fence.

10. billrey

Sep 9, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by