what got my chick

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Stoney22, Aug 3, 2011.

1. Stoney22

Stoney22 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2011
    new hampshire
    My coop for the most part is secure, hurried wire and the like. Nothing dug into it. The only gap is between the door and the chicken wire over the top of the run. Its a foot gap by about two foot wide. I e seen stray cats, I think it was a cat or a bird but im nit ruling out a weasel. Idk if it could be a bird though because once in the run it would have little room to build up momentum for an attack with a low ceiling and many supporting posts to hole it up. I had feathers...more than a few but not alot on the ground and an intestine, that's the only trace. And it didn't take the big chickens or ducks. I had my little black chick die today for no apparent reason and then the barred rock cross just got eaten. It happened just now, I came home to this. So I ruled out pretty much a skunk or raccoon, what do you guys think and will it be back or no bc the bigger animals are tougher quarry the three week olds were easy game? If I cover up the gap will it solve my problems if its a stray cat?

2. BrokenRoadFarm

BrokenRoadFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2011
    North Central NC
    Anything that could climb would be a suspect...raccoon...possum...need to find a way to cover that securely. Especially now that the critter knows it can get in and have a fresh chicken dinner. Good luck!

3. Stoney22

Jun 7, 2011
    new hampshire
    But in broad daylight don't you think it was probably a cat?

4. wpalmisano

wpalmisano Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2010
    Connecticut
    Quote:Any cat that approaches my pens is quickly dispatched. Early on I was losing pheasant chicks and couldn't figure out why. After the first snowfall I was able to see raccoon tracks in the snow. He would wander up and pull the birds, piece by piece, right through the one inch chicken wire. I put a plywood border about a foot high all around the pen and that thwarted him.

5. BrokenRoadFarm

BrokenRoadFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2011
    North Central NC
    Quote:If the predator is hungry, and food is right there, it doesn't matter what time of day it is....there are posts all over this forum of attacks by night time predators during the day and vice versa...all depends how hungry they are...

6. Stoney22

Jun 7, 2011
    new hampshire
    Im just thinking it was a cat bc it went for a chick

7. Stoney22

Jun 7, 2011
    new hampshire
    I closed up the gap so hopefully its fully secure the only way it could get in now would be to dig which is possible but I did bury the wire fairly good I think

8. Stoney22

Jun 7, 2011
    new hampshire
    Is it possible a squirrel could take a chick? I heard from a neighbor the only thing she saw was a squirrel constantly climbing around

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by