What got my girls?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by LuckyFarrell, May 16, 2011.

1. LuckyFarrell

LuckyFarrell Out Of The Brooder

Jan 6, 2009
    Plymouth, MA
    Three out of my four hens were killed while my wife and I were out of town. Father-in-Law was supposed to be locking the coop at night, but I have a sneaking suspicion he didn't. My brother in law found them in the morning in different areas of my yard, the carcasses were found intact not a mark on them, but he said there were feathers everywhere. From what I've read in other posts I'm thinking it was a neighborhood dog, but didn't know if there were any other predators that would leave birds intact. Thanks for your help
    [​IMG]

2. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Aww very pretty hens...I am so sorry......Probably a dog just played with them until it killed them.........My neighbor's dog came over to my backyard, which is quite a ways away from their yard, and this dog had one of my laying hens pinned down and was ripping her feathers out.

Lucky for me I just looked out my kitchen window at the right time, and I yelled at the dog and he ran away. Whitey, my hen was unharmed, not one drop of blood, but feathers everywhere! I was shocked!

My guess is dogs! Again, so sorry this happened to your little flock!

HUGS,

Sharon

3. dlee

dlee Out Of The Brooder

Dec 18, 2010
    Quote:We lock up our our coop every night & still lost one chicken every night for two weeks. Each one was almost all eaten. We thought the coop was completly varmit proof. Then we saw an owl in a large tree. [​IMG] After checking the coop, we finally found two uncovered spots up in the rafters. After covering these, our birds were very safe. Haven't lost any since ( 5 months )...[​IMG]

4. galanie

galanie Treat Dispenser No More

Aug 20, 2010
    Colmesneil,TX
    I vote dogs too. I dream of a day when pet owners will be responsible. Both dogs AND cats should be kept so they cannot roam. Both can be harmed and killed easily by roaming free, especially by the irate livestock owner.

5. chicknsnbiskits

chicknsnbiskits Out Of The Brooder

Oct 20, 2008
    Colorado Springs
    When a neighborhood black lab "played" our bird to death, she had hardly a mark on her anywhere. Sounds like a dog, probably a bird-dog breed.

6. alchik

alchik Out Of The Brooder

May 10, 2011
    Once those dogs know about the birds it'll be pretty difficult to keep them away. Best to keep them enclosed if possible or only out when you can keep watch.

7. ECBW

ECBW Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2011
    NJ
    I lost 3 birds last year similarly to your scenario. The difference was that 2 birds were nowhere in sight. The chicken farmer lady said it was the MO of foxes.

I do not fault the foxes. It happened because the humans had become complacent about locking up at dusk!!!!!

8. karimw

karimw Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2010
    Eastern IA
    I've had a couple random disappearances I attribute to coyotes, and also a coon attack that left the birds headless, but we had neighbor dogs come in and kill 15 birds in broad daylight. Just killed and left them. Very frustrating [​IMG]

9. LuckyFarrell

LuckyFarrell Out Of The Brooder

Jan 6, 2009
    Plymouth, MA
    Thanks everyone. There are so many dogs in my neighborhood, who knows who the culprit could be. I guess my next door neighbor's black labs are the prime suspects. Here's a pic of the newbies I got to keep the soul survivor company.
    [​IMG]

10. mrszlopez

mrszlopez Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2009
    Jackson,NJ
    ive had a lot of issues with my chickens being killed, but left in tact. it wasnt a dog , but we did spot a fox in the yard one day. sorry for your loss [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by