What got my goose???? Graphic

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by greenfamilyfarms, Feb 24, 2009.

1. greenfamilyfarms

greenfamilyfarms Big Pippin'

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    Woke up this morning to white goose feathers on the ground in the pasture. Went outside and there was my favorite male Pilgrim goose laying in the middle of the pasture. There is a pile of down surrounding him and whatever it was ate most of his insides.

What could have done this??? I'm very upset. I may leave work early today if I can.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2009
  2. rockabilly7

rockabilly7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2008
    Florida panhandle
    maybe a coyote, I am so sorry for your loss, last year I raised a duckling and after the first 4 weeks he was outside something got a hold of him and tore his head off I was devastated. Alll you can do is understand that he's not hurting anymore.
    [​IMG]

3. greenfamilyfarms

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    I am terrified that it may have been a coyote. I have goat kids due in 2 weeks. Going after one of my geese is one thing, but if they go after my babies, I may loose it.

A coyote would have dragged the body around, wouldn't it? It looks like it is in the same position it was in when it was attacked.

4. Hens_And_Chicks

Hens_And_Chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2009
    Ohio
    Quote:Have you ever considered a llama - they make awesome guard animals - they are very territorial and protective of their area.

5. poultrykeeper08

poultrykeeper08 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2008
    Agawam , Ma
    or a fox .

6. greenfamilyfarms

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    I'm going to set a live trap this afternoon and see if I can catch the culprit. Does anybody else have any ideas about what this could be? I thought owls ate from the head down. The goose was eviserated.

7. corancher

corancher Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2007
    Colorado
    Oh No. So sorry for your loss.

I really don't think it was a coyote. They tend to grab and carry off. Good luck in finding what did this.

8. poultrykeeper08

poultrykeeper08 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2008
    Agawam , Ma
    Is it possible that he just died and something ate it ?

9. greenfamilyfarms

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    Quote:I don't think that is possible. He was fine yesterday and last night when I checked on before it got dark. He wasn't one to just let something eat him - he was kinda fiesty lately because his lady friend had just started laying again.

10. Cara

Cara Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2007
    NM
    I'd say a raccoon. Whenever i've had problems with them they've eaten the crop and breast. A coyote won't usually stick around and eat, same goes for a fox. Owls usually behead, but don't eat the insides.

Try putting fish in the trap, the stinkier the better. I think I used canned red salmon or mackerel to catch mine.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by