1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What got my guinea last night Graphfic pictures

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by pidgey104, Dec 8, 2010.

1. pidgey104

pidgey104 Cochins R Us

Nov 10, 2007
    Panama City ,Florida
    Any ideas what got my guinea last night. I live in Panama City Have neighbors on all sides of me.

Here he is he was a buff guinea

[​IMG]

Found him on top of this

[​IMG]

Found his feathers all over the place

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Wondering if it was a coon or maybe a hawk got him during the day yesterday. I come home after dark and put everyone a way.I thought he was in there because if it was left out it usally comes running up to me.

2. MamaChic21

MamaChic21 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2010
    Jackson, NJ
    I'm so sorry this has happened. It could be many things like possums, owl, vultures, hawks ! I couldn't help wonder, I didn't see any chicken coop ? Do they stay in that cage at nights or even during the day ? I live in a place where I got all the predators that love chicken, so I made them 16x10 chicken run along with a shed and a chicken coop. All fenced in, roof covered so nothing can come in or go out. You don't have to make it that size, but you sure have to have a coop where they could stay during the night and have the top covered with chicken wire, otherwise this will repear itself.

3. pidgey104

pidgey104 Cochins R Us

Nov 10, 2007
    Panama City ,Florida
    Yes I have a coop . Don't have pictures of it. It has hardware cloth on it. never again will I use chciken wire. I have built them the all in one coop from the Chciken coops for dummys. LOl love its really nice looking. Nothing can get into it. When I closed the Door last night I thought everone was in . thats why I'm thinking hawk. No Vultures here. I have caught a possums ans got rid of it about 40 miles from me. Their run has no top two sides are 6 foot chainlink since they are in the corner. other sides into our yard are only 4 foot fence.

4. MamaChic21

MamaChic21 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2010
    Jackson, NJ
    I wish there was pictures, cause it's hard to visualize it, maybe I could be more helpful then. But they do need roof. There are more possums where they came from. Don't get me wrong, I'm not attacking you, by all means, I'm just trying to help you and perphaps give you ideas that might be usefull to you.

5. Lbrad7

Lbrad7 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2010
    Ringgold, GA
    I'm sorry for your loss...looks like a hawk to me.

6. erock

erock Out Of The Brooder

Jun 8, 2010
    Batavia, IL
    My thought would be a hawk, sorry for you...

7. pidgey104

pidgey104 Cochins R Us

Nov 10, 2007
    Panama City ,Florida
    Okay hawk. Does the hanging CD in the trees Trick work??

8. chkn

chkn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2010
    It looks so fresh I wouldn't be surprised if it happened right before you got home. I would suspect a raccoon or possum.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by