What got my silkies? OH

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by ma2babygurl13, Sep 16, 2009.

1. ma2babygurl13

ma2babygurl13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2009
    Fairborn OH
    Two nights ago something got 2 of my silkies. My black one (the smallest) is nowhere to be found except a few feathers right outside the chain link. The Buff was pulled part way through the chainlink and half eaten, the rest of it was still stuck in the fence. We have had a problem with coons stealing our turkey eggs and have taken care of 3 in 3 months. There is also a Fox we have spotted in the field. Which of these would you think would be responsible for pulling them through the chain link, and eating them?

2. sred98

sred98 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2008
    Oklahoma
    Racoons will pull chickens through the fence. Sorry about your chickens. [​IMG]

Shelly

3. ma2babygurl13

Jun 18, 2009
    Fairborn OH
    That is more what I was hoping got it...easier for me to trap than the fox... it was such a pretty fox, I'd hate to have to take care of it! We set the livetrap out with what was remaining of the buff, so hopefully we will catch the culprit.

4. sred98

sred98 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2008
    Oklahoma
    LOL! See...I'd have the opposite problem, since I've had raccoons as pets, before. [​IMG] My dog took care of the fox for me. I was shocked.

Foxes will leave a pile of feathers. It is possible that a fox got your black one. Raccoons usually don't eat the whole thing. It is definitely what got the buff one. Good luck catching it. If it won't eat the remains (usually opossums or skunks eat the leftovers) then try tomorrow with fresh eggs and canned catfood. I've also heard that people have luck with marshmallows.

Good Luck!

Shelly

5. ma2babygurl13

Jun 18, 2009
    Fairborn OH
    I used to have a problem with the coons, but have learned to deal with it... I just don't look at them before or after my husband takes care of them. The fox I could deal with, but it was the most gorgeous fox I have ever seen! If we do end up having to take it too, unfortunately we would have to keep the pelt per my husbands say. He wanted to shoot it when we saw it, but I wouldnt let him, now if I wasn't standing there I wouldn't have minded as much, but I don't like seeing anything shot. Hopefully we will get it, we are wrapping the chainlink in chicken wire tonight, I know it wont be a fool proof method, but it is a little better... Hopefully they have learned their lessons and will sleep in their house now rather than in a corner of the pen. I'll have to keep the marshmallows in mind, never had luck with the cat food...they do go after layer crumbles though!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by