What got the rooster?

StamTORCH

Hatching
11 Years
May 15, 2008
Hi all,

I had 6 hens(RI Red, Austolorp and Black Rocks) and a black rock rooster, all over a year old. Added more that are now 3 months old (RI Red roo and 5 hens). So I go down to the coop this morning after my son told me 4 of the younger chicks were out in the regular big yard (we have a large portion that is fenced off around the coop)

I ran down there and scooted the girls back into their fenced in yard. I found black rock feathers in three piles around the fenced in yard. I am heartbroken that my rooster is gone. No other signs of him other than the feathers in three places. Also missing is the RI Roo that was 3 months old. All the girls are fine and intact.
Any thoughts on what got in?? The fence is 6 feet high and has string criss crossing across the yard around the posts (like a spider web ceiling). There are no signs of anything digging into the yard.

I could see that something might have been able to get the RI roo as he was still small but no feathers or sign of struggle. He is just missing. My son is so sad about the other roo as the larger rooster, "Norwood" was his special pal. He was big so I am at a loss as to what took him out of the yard. No blood, no body, just 3 piles/areas of feathers.

Thanks for any help.

so sorry
sad.png
your rooster was very brave, he did exactly what he was engineered to do, he gave his life for his hens. I can only guess what took him, but for sure what ever it is will be back for more
hit.gif
you need a good guard dog
D.gif

Most likely a raccoon. Those animals are extremely good at a clean getaway. We have a family of them living in a neighbors backyard. We have lost quite a few hens by them.

Sorry for your loss
sad.png

Back
Top Bottom