what grain mix for winter birds?

For base diet I would suggest Flock Raiser - any grain/scratch/etc beyond that should be used as a treat and make up no more than 10% of overall intake.

I mix my own feed too ;)

The only thing I really do different in winter is I increase the molasses, and this year I'm fermenting, and I've decreased my feed consumption by 30% just with the fermenting.

I'm also experimenting with replacing most if the corn with sorghum, so here's the recipe I'm working with at the moment:

50# WHEAT
50# MILLET
40# BOSS
40# ALFALFA PELLETS
30# SORGHUM
25# CORN
10# OYSTER SHELL
10# MOLASSES

When I get it at bushel prices, it rounds out to about $.15 per pound, and that lasts me about 45 days for about 40 birds.

Good stuff there shortgrass. i just spoke to a local brewer and he's giving me all of his spent grain (mostly barley) left from the brewing process. I'm planning on adding this to my chicken and hog feed. If only for the natural yeasts.

Good stuff there shortgrass. i just spoke to a local brewer and he's giving me all of his spent grain (mostly barley) left from the brewing process. I'm planning on adding this to my chicken and hog feed. If only for the natural yeasts.

Nice, spent brewers grains have great value in fermentation :) I dug this up for reference..
http://articles.extension.org/pages/68860/feeding-brewers-grains-to-poultry#.VklE1iPn_qA

The high fiber content in it will need to be offset if you don't want the extra poo from it, but other than that, its a good option to add in. I've never used brewers grain for poultry, but the cattle do really well on spent corn from the ethanol plants; always looking for more possibilities :D

Back
Top Bottom