What Grit??

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by shell25, Sep 21, 2010.

1. shell25

shell25 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2010
    Derbyshire
    What girt do i need to give my pullets, my local supplier do mixed grit which i believe as oyster shells in (or so she said) is this the correct one, as ive looked on the net and they all seem to be mixed with this in??

Thanks Michelle

BTW im new to all this [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 21, 2010
  2. Jx2inNC

Jx2inNC Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2010
    Caraway, NC
    What are you feeding them currently?
    If it is a good feed with limestone and such mixed in, you probably shouldn't need much other grit.
    If the birds NEVER get to the ground to peck around you could consider supplying a little insoluble granite or such, but if the feed includes it you likely don't need much, if any, additional.

3. shell25

Sep 18, 2010
    Derbyshire
    Quote:Thankyou they are currently feeding on grower pellets, and watever they pick up from my garden, they have a wonder around for 2-3 hours per day and the garden is mainly grass with odd patch of dry soil.

Thanks Michelle

4. Yay Chicks!

Yay Chicks! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Forest Grove, OR
    I've never seen grit and oyster shell packaged together. They are used for two different purposes. If your pullets are not laying yet, they do not need to be offered oyster shell which is used to increase calcium. If you don't think your birds are getting much in the way of gravel while free ranging, then buy a bag of grit. It's basically just stones to help grind up that grass, etc that they may be eating, and it's pretty cheap.

5. Judy

Judy Chicken Obsessed Staff Member Premium Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Grit should be small pieces of granite, not limestone as it is too soft. Granite is already present in some soils, or people's driveways, so it depends what you have and whether they are on the ground.

I've never seen grit and oyster shell sold mixed together; they shouldn't be; as the previous poster said, the oyster shell is not a good idea for chicks.

I feel the only way to be sure you don't need to supply these things is to offer it and see if the layers eat any oyster shell and the chickens in general eat any grit. Some of mine eat it but others don't. They certainly go through the bags very slowly, like a quart or so of each a year.

6. shell25

Sep 18, 2010
    Derbyshire
    Yay Chicks! :

I've never seen grit and oyster shell packaged together. They are used for two different purposes. If your pullets are not laying yet, they do not need to be offered oyster shell which is used to increase calcium. If you don't think your birds are getting much in the way of gravel while free ranging, then buy a bag of grit. It's basically just stones to help grind up that grass, etc that they may be eating, and it's pretty cheap.

Thanks they just sell it as mixed and thats whats in it, no they not ready for laying just want to make sure they getting what they need.​

7. shell25

Sep 18, 2010
    Derbyshire
    Quote:They not ready for laying yet, but just want to make sure they are getting what they need. They just sell mixed which includes the oyster shell.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by