What hapend!?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Chicken Girl, Mar 1, 2009.

1. Chicken Girl

Chicken Girl Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 31, 2008
    Wisconsin
    Ok so i have a broody pulet. She has been tying to set for a week and has been siting for 2 days. I made her a broody box just for her and i put her in it with the 8 eggs she has been siting on. And about a 1/2 hour later i went and looked at her and she JUMPED OUT!!!! So now what? do i make her sit on them? Or will she get back on them? PLS HELP!!!

Chicken Girl

2. Grampa with chickens

Grampa with chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 23, 2008
    Brooksville, Florida
    I no expert, but if she is broody, I would think she would get back on the eggs when she is ready.

3. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    Sometimes Broodys get up and walk around, eat and poo. They will get back on the nest in half an hour or so. Good luck!!

4. cluckychick

cluckychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2008
    South of KCMO
    Sometimes when you move a broody it breaks their cycle. I hope she returns to her nest.

5. Chicken Girl

Dec 31, 2008
    Wisconsin
    Well i hope she gets back in there! The box had chicken wier on top of it and its like 3' tall!!! wen i put her in there she sat right down. And then i put some food in there and she got up and ate and sat back down! And i had to run in side to do some stuff and bring her a bowl of water for her little box thing i made her and she was out of the bow walking around! I just about punched her! LOL JK JK! Well i hope she gets back on! P.S. I had taken the chicken wier off so she can get in there if she wants. But now what do i do!?

Chicken Girl

6. Chicken Girl

Dec 31, 2008
    Wisconsin
    Well i hope she gets back in there! The box had chicken wier on top of it and its like 3' tall!!! wen i put her in there she sat right down. And then i put some food in there and she got up and ate and sat back down! And i had to run in side to do some stuff and bring her a bowl of water for her little box thing i made her and she was out of the bow walking around! I just about punched her! LOL JK JK! Well i hope she gets back on! P.S. I had taken the chicken wier off so she can get in there if she wants. But now what do i do!?

Chicken Girl

7. Chicken Girl

Dec 31, 2008
    Wisconsin

Chicken Girl

8. Sunny Side Up

Sunny Side Up Count your many blessings...

Mar 12, 2008
    Loxahatchee, Florida
    What time of day was it when you tried to move her? If I have to do anything with a broody I do it after dark. Otherwise you could throw her off her groove and she won't go back to her nest.

Often a broody will feel more commitment to a location than to a clutch of eggs. If I must move a broody, I'll try to move her inside entire nest box. If the nest is not in a box or cannot be moved, I'll try to slide a box or bucket under her nest -- and do this after dark -- and leave her in it for another night. Then if she stays in it, I'll attempt moving her inside the box the next night. Or if she's in an inconvenient place, I'll make her secure by fencing her in or placing a wire cage over her.

If your hen won't go back on her nest you will have to wait & hope she goes broody again.

9. Chicken Girl

Dec 31, 2008
    Wisconsin
    Sorry about all the same post! My computer went crazy for a second! LOL And it was like a half an hour befor dark! And the hens were peking her! When i went in there she was makeing funny clucking sounds like the roo dose if he is teling the hens he sees food. lol Well i hope all gos well! And can i make her sit on them?

Chicken Girl

10. Lollipop

Lollipop Chillin' With My Peeps

Sunny offers a great deal of insight and is correct. You may have to put a couple dummy eggs back in her original nest and let her get started all over. After she has been there tight for at least 2 nights. Move her gently and in the dark, so you don`t stress her. Let her set on those 2 dummy eggs a couple more nights. Then, again in the dark, take out the dummies and replace them with the eggs you want her to hatch.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by