1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What happend?!.... (well what do ya know!?)

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by DUCKGIRL89, Oct 23, 2011.

1. DUCKGIRL89

DUCKGIRL89 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2011
    TN
    So I ordered 2 female rouens ducks, and three females WH (welsh harlequin) ducks, and a WH drake from metzer farms. These ducks are now around 2 and a half months old. Well, I went out today to feed the ducks, and my favorite little rouen girl came up to eat out of my hand, and I noticed that she has some very pretty green wings! And her head is turning green! My she is he! I ordered them as SEXED ducklings! I still love my baby rouen more than anything in the world, and gqve up txting to pay for their feed. But im upset becuz I wanted two girls! Oh well, looks like he'll be my little pet [​IMG] who else ordered sexed ducklings and they didnt come as the right sex?

Last edited: Oct 23, 2011
  2. DUCKGIRL89

Apr 28, 2011
    TN
    Has this happend to anyone else? Im gonna feel silly if it was just me [​IMG]

3. Alicia G

Alicia G Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2010
    Nova Scotia
    Even though the hatchery sexed them, it is not 100%

4. GrannyCarol

GrannyCarol Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2011
    Washington
    I know that sometimes the people doing the sexing make a mistake or miss one. Some people are more accurate than others, when they vent sex at hatching there isn't a lot to see.

5. DUCKGIRL89

Apr 28, 2011
    TN
    Oh, yeah. Thats true. I was just really hopeing for two ladies [​IMG] atleased he's a sweety... [​IMG]

6. ChickieBooBoo

ChickieBooBoo Cold Canadian Chick

Dec 2, 2009
    Canada
    Hatchery sexing is never 100%

In my experience with Rouens, they don't start getting green heads until after their browner colored feathers. He might change color before he gets his adult feathers.

7. DUCKGIRL89

Apr 28, 2011
    TN
    Quote:Yup, he still has baby feathers, but he is getting his green head.

8. roocrazy

roocrazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2009
    minnesota!!!!
    male and female rouens and other gray ducks have the green/blue color spectrum

9. DUCKGIRL89

Apr 28, 2011
    TN
    Huh? Im not sure what your talking about? Lol.

10. roocrazy

roocrazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2009
    minnesota!!!!
    Quote:pretty green wings?? that's the spectrum, male and female have it. im pretty sure thats what its called anyway.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by