1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What happened here??

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by savingpurple, Aug 3, 2011.

1. savingpurple

savingpurple Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2011
    NW Ohio
    The hen that laid this is my toubled hen, Ms Pissy. She was so good all day with the others, and turned evil on the roost last night, so I removed her, and sat her on the new roost we added. Now I remember someone saying chickens can't see well in the dark, mainly almost blind in the dark, so after putting her there, I shut the door. It was pretty dark in there.

I came out today to this......Mind you, she must have stayed there all night by the looks of the poop board. LOL

[​IMG]

Is this normal, or is she lacking something? Maybe lacking something that causes aggression too. One person mentioned lacking protein? Should I put her back on starter grower, maybe mixed in with the layer?

They all have free access to oyster shells, but with her being crated the last few weeks, she has not had any. Could that be why?

2. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    I'd offer her some crushed oyster shell. Is she a new layer? Sometimes that happens when they first start to lay also. I guess you could give her starter/grower, as long as you supply her with the crushed oyster shell.

I think the layer feed provides the extra calcium needed for strong eggshells.

3. savingpurple

Apr 2, 2011
    NW Ohio
    Not really, well, depends on what you mean by new. She has been laying since 7-7-11. My first egg !!! It is always a hard shell, and nice size.

I just read an old post on aggression and lack of enough protein.....very interesting !!

4. duckinnut

duckinnut Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2010
    Marshfield, Ma.
    Is this the first time that has happened? I had an incident like that one hot night and everybody was fighting for space so the one that was causing the commotion I grab her and she spit out something like that. A day later she was right back to normal. I think the stress of the heat,roost fighting and me grabbing her prompted her for any early lay. How old is Ms Pissy? Also you said that you moved her last night but crated for a couple of weeks,Im confused?

5. savingpurple

Apr 2, 2011
    NW Ohio
    Also you said that you moved her last night but crated for a couple of weeks,Im confused?

She had been crated the last couple weeks due to lots of aggression. Since we enlarged the outdoor run, I tried letting her back out, and she was MUCH better. I tried, last night, to let her roost with the other hens. Well, she was biting feet, pecking heads, pushing them off, pulling on feathers, and this went on and on, until I pulled her off, and put her on the new roost we built.

Then came in today to see this. Now she didn't lay yesterday. Make more sense??​

6. duckinnut

duckinnut Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2010
    Marshfield, Ma.
    Got you now,give her a couple of days see if she gets back on track. She probably stressed from the couple weeks of jail, trying to regain her spot and then you physically moving her. Sounds similar to what I went through,she was on the roost pecking and fighting with everyone that went by or sat on the same rung. Grabbed her, put her on the floor,she jumps right back up and starts again. Grab her again and then spits out an egg just like your picture. Two days later all is fine.

I read that her eggs were fine up until this one so I dont think she is lacking anything. Plus she is only a month into this laying thing so its still fairly new to her. Give it time then go from there.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by