What Happened? My chick is dead!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by TherryChicken, Feb 13, 2013.

1. TherryChicken

TherryChicken Overrun With Chickens

Sep 16, 2012
    del valle, tx
    [​IMG]

This is about the tiny chick, she was almost ALWAYS currled up like in the picture. I had the chick for about a month, she never grew when her sister did. Her sister is now 3 times her size! The chick wasn't cold and even in the heat it would be currled up like that. It could un curl itself, it just didn't unless picked up. Seemed lithargic, but was told she may just be small and the person had some grow up from being tiny and runted into the same size as the relatives after a while. She did eat, did drink, always chirped (not always loud).. Was vocal, but this morning I found her dead :(. What could have caused this? All my others are fine and they all got along just fine..

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    If all the others show no apparent problems, she may very well have been born with a congenital problem. It happens with chickens as well as with all other animals.

3. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Not a healthy bird from the get go. Perhaps genetic or an incubation issue.

4. TherryChicken

TherryChicken Overrun With Chickens

Sep 16, 2012
    del valle, tx
    Thanks, I'm thinking something like that too, but thought I'd ask. All my others seem to be just fine, so I know it isn't anything contagious..

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by