WHAT HAPPENED TO HER EYE???

theharvey3

Chirping
11 Years
Jul 31, 2008
Texas
I just got this sweet 6 week old "Top Hat" today. I didn't really examine her when I picked her up and when we got home I noticed something is wrong with her right eye. She also doesn't seem to have a lot of energy but she could just be tired from the "move".
I called the breeder who said I could bring her back, but I don't want to give up on her quite yet! She was in very clean conditions and well taken care of. She was of course with other chicks, does it look like she was pecked at or what else could it be?? What can I do to help her?
Please help, any advice would be very appreciated. Thank you!!

13880_tophat.jpg

I can't really see...pic is kind of dark. Can you get a closer-up picture? Is it swollen, bleeding...? Is she itching at it?

It is not bleeding and she's not itching it. The feathers around her eye are pretty much gone and her little eyeball looks cloudy and not normal.
Thank you for your help. Hopefully these pics are a little better.

13880_tophat_007.jpg

13880_tophat_006.jpg

Is her eyeball grayish or cloudy? Does it look like this one on the right below?
Ocular_Marek%27s_disease.jpg

If it looks like that, it could be ocular marek's disease. I'd certainly take it back to the breeder or at least notify him/her.

Last edited:
If it is not as in the pic posted, then I have seen that with some types of mites... it might also be a bacterial infection pssibly as a result of something getting in her eye...
What you could do even in this case where it is not obvious what the problem is (and I DO hope you have her well separated from the others!) is flush the eye out copiously and daily with a lukewarm sterile saline (boil 1/4 tsp salt in a quart of water for five minutes>make fresh daily) and applying vaseline to the "bald" area around the eye (this will suffocate mites) An opthamolic /antibiotic eye ointment would seem indicated .
This will take quite a bit of time and trouble on your part... you may want to reconsider giving the ill bird back.

This will take quite a bit of time and trouble on your part... you may want to reconsider giving the ill bird back.

I completely agree. In fact, it's odd that the breeder didnt notice this. I'd always look over birds I was selling to be sure they had no issues.​

Back
Top Bottom