WHAT happened to her / his comb?! It looks dug out

Well, it looked like a mini comb, not a missing comb lol
Huh. That’s strange. And you’re sure that this is the same chick? Do you have pictures of her comb before?
I had an experience that was sort of similar. A pullet had a normal small single comb, but one day I looked in her pen and it looked like half her comb had been cut off. I’m not sure if another chicken did it or she injured herself on something in the pen. Her sister housed with her was pretty ferocious, as was she.
A9B0572D-3FAD-41F5-BC3A-F70A39710327.jpeg
3D87125D-3090-459C-A126-12EF149691F4.jpeg

This one mo old chick looks like it’s comb has been dug out. We only put them in the basement a few days ago —- bc there are like 10 chicks and it became SO dusty in the living room... WHAT happened 😭
Looks like it may have been picked. Do you have too many chickens in too small of a space?

Looks like it may have been picked. Do you have too many chickens in too small of a space?
It does, right? We had 9 small ones in a big box then they got a little bigger and we split them with the bigger of the bunch in one and the 4 smaller / weaker or ones w problems in another. So, they do have and did have enough room... the other four are happier now they are in a mild pen now alone for now.

It looks like a rose comb that another chick picked at. I had a horrible little baby last year that ran around the brooder pecking everyone's eyeballs. We named it Fawkes and it went to live with someone else with chicks that were a week-old instead of day-old and it still bullied the older chicks.

Do you know what breed the chick is?

Some combs really do look like that as they grow, especially rose combs or pea combs. I think they just grow unevenly, and some parts look sunken until they get around to growing more.

Do you know what breed the chick is?

Some combs really do look like that as they grow, especially rose combs or pea combs. I think they just grow unevenly, and some parts look sunken until they get around to growing more.
It is a Silkie / frizzle mix... but it HAD a comb and now it doesn’t lol that’s the problem... and the other chicks that look like it in it’s hatch still have their combs.

It is a Silkie / frizzle mix... but it HAD a comb and now it doesn’t lol that’s the problem... and the other chicks that look like it in it’s hatch still have their combs.

Do you have a picture of how it used to look? Either an earlier photo of the same chick, or one with the same kind of comb?

I'm just really puzzled about what's going on--no obvious scabs or injuries, and to me (who did not see it before this happened) it looks like a comb with nothing missing. :confused:

Back
Top Bottom