What happened to her?

rojowell1

Hatching
Feb 8, 2016
So I am a first time chicken mom, and this morning when I went out to check on my three girls, one of them was laying dead, head turned around, eyes open and white, and the left side had been split as if grabbed from the wing and pulled from opposite leg. I'm so devastated because I'm pretty sure it was my favorite Hen-rietta. Enclosed is a picture of my poor girl after I got her out of the coop. There did not appear to be any sign of a predator getting inside the coop. No holes or open latches. If Iyou help me figure this out I'd really appreciate it. I love my girls.

If any of your coop has a wall or side open the the outdoors and made of chicken wire, this was done by a raccoon. Raccoons will reach through 1 inch chickenwire and grab at anything that flies against the wire in a panic (often done at night when the coon scares the birds off the perch in the dark). Then they literally pull the chicken through the wire in pieces. So-called chicken wire is pretty worthless as protection against a lot of predators like raccoons, weasels, mink, and snakes.

Back
Top Bottom