What happened to his tail?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by heathersboers, Dec 19, 2010.

1. heathersboers

heathersboers Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2010
    wilson
    I just bought this FBCM cockeral- and his tail is now growing back- Could the other chickens have took it off-or could he have lost them for some odd reason? I just thought it was wierd. None of my other chickens have ever done that- they dont appear to be broken or chopped off..???[​IMG] What do you think of him besides the abscense of his booty feathers?

[​IMG]

2. ginbart

ginbart Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2008
    Bloomsburg, PA
    Was he like that when you got him or did it happen after?

Is he in with new chickens?

Could he have been moltings before you got him?

Sorry for the questions but maybe it will help with answers.

3. heathersboers

Dec 2, 2010
    wilson
    I bought him a week ago and he was like that- he was with other chickens- about 40 different ones. Not sure if he was molting, but his other feathers look fine.

4. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Looks to me like he's coming back from a molt. Tail feathers take quite a while to come back in.

5. chicnfarmer

chicnfarmer Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2010
    it wouldn't hurt to check him for lice. I had a rooster lose sickle feathers and when I checked he was pretty infested. My roo was born that spring, so I doubt it was a molt. (but you checked him before adding him to your flock, right?)

Last edited: Dec 20, 2010
  6. heathersboers

Dec 2, 2010
    wilson
    I dont see any lice- He may be coming out of a molt- I was told he was 10-11 months old-Isnt that young for a molt?

7. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Nice cockerel.

No, it isn't too young for a molt. Not at all.

Looks like either an animal or other hens/roosters pulled them out. I had one just like that, but younger:

[​IMG]

However his tail eventually grow back before even molting. (still has no sickles though)

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 20, 2010
  8. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    There's a mini molt around 9 months. How many feathers they lose varies. And they don't always molt when the literature says they should, IME.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by