what happened to my BLUE andalusian hen?

Loving My Peeps

Chicken Whisperer
9 Years
Aug 19, 2010
Central, Maine
I purchased a blue andalusian pullet from Meyer hatchery 7 weeks ago as a 1 day old chick. She was very cute, light gray and black fuzz butt. Now at 7 weeks old she is defiantely NOT blue!!! She is all black; in fact she looks just like a black crow. I'm regretfully admit that I am not happy with the looks/ color of her. Will she grow to be blue or will she always be pure black? I don;t know much about blue genetics...

Quote:
It is most likely a black. See when Breeding Blues to Blues 25% of them will be black 50% will be blue 25% will be splash ( this is working with 100+ chicks)

The Blue color has 3 forms: Black, Blue, and Splash. You may have been sent a Black, even though you ordered a Blue.

From Meyer's Website:
"Blue Andulasian are gorgeous birds with long flowing tail and hackle feathers, large combs and wattles, and large white earlobes. Feathers are a slate gray edged with a narrow black line, roosters tend to be black along the tops of their backs. Like all blue fowl, they produce black and splashed offspring as well as the blue color type. Splash tend to be white with black or blue splashes. Black are glossy. They are white egg layers and are known as non-sitters. Average mature weight: Rooster 7 lbs., hens 5 1/2 lbs."

Here is the only pic I have of her as a 1 week old. She is gray and black centered in the pic.

65850_img00036-20101001-1358.jpg

I just ran out for a recent pic of her.....cell phone camera (sorry)
65850_img00033-20101111-1807.jpg

Last edited:
I realize you purchased from Meyer Hatchery. However, this is what I found on mypetchicken.com when I purchased a blue cochin.

PLEASE NOTE: the color blue does not hatch true in chickens. Blue is a diluting gene for black. So, 50% of the blue cochins will hatch blue, and 25% will be black. The last 25% will be "splash," having received two diluting genes. Splash is a very light color, pale blue or white with "splashes" of black and darker blue in the feathers, especially in the wings and tail. PLEASE KEEP THIS IN MIND WHEN YOU ORDER! Not all of your blues will actually be blue!

As already posted they are Andalusian Blue..not the breed but the color is called that as well in nearly all blue birds..ordering blue doesn't mean you will get blue..below is the Andalusian blue genetics.We raise lots of blue birds here
big_smile.png

Blue x blue 50% blue 25% splash 25% blue
Black x Blue 50/50 black and blue
Black x splash 100% blue
Blue x splash 50/50 splash and blue
Splash x splash 100% splash and will result in very little splash color leaning towards a shade of white or pearl
Black x black 100% black

I guess that it is safe to say that my BLUE andalusian pullet is actually a black andalusian (is that a breed?). I have seen tons of pics of blue bet never a black andalusian. Can someone please post a pic of their black andalusian hen. I'm hoping she will become more attractive as she gets older. I really dislike the "black crow" look. She is a sweet chick so I probably will keep her regardless.

Back
Top Bottom