1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What happened to my chicks eye! *PICS*

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Countrychick8540, Feb 9, 2012.

1. Countrychick8540

Countrychick8540 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 8, 2011
    So last night I went to check on my chicks, and this ones eye looked like this! It was fine before, no problems. What happened?!

[​IMG]
    Before^

NOW
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Daddas1Punkin

Daddas1Punkin Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2012
    Ca.
    He either has a bacterial infection, irritation, or injury in that eye.

If the eye is stuck shut with sticky stuff or gunk, use a warm wet washcloth and place a soft part of it gently over the eye to loosen then then gently pull the eyelids open.

Then, apply a little opthalmic ointment, available at your feed store or perhaps the vet, into the eye gently and carefully. Repeat for several days until the chick holds it eye open normally.

NEVER use regular antibiotic ointment in an eye... it needs to be "opthalmic" to be safe for use in the eyes.
    http://www.google.com/products/cata...a=X&ei=TFQ0T_LLPOqTiQKd5L28Cg&ved=0CFkQ8wIwBA [​IMG] I hope he gets better!

3. SteveBaz

SteveBaz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2011
    Pacific North West
    save the 15 bucks for terramycin at the feed store....I tried some neosporin on one of my girls and it turned out just as good. Next day her eyes looked much better and she was on her way to recovery. I kept her in the dog kennel until she got her bearings and her appetite back and put her back. I think one of the other girls pecked her by accident and this is the result with mine hen also.

[​IMG][​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by