What happened to my eggs?? :(

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by lvchicken, Dec 21, 2012.

1. lvchicken

lvchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2011
    I have about 25 hens and they are only laying about 2-3 eggs a day. They are 18 months old, and were laying about a dozen a day, but their egg production suddenly dropped in early November.

They are perfectly healthy, no lice or mites, they have clean water, clean coop, feed, grit, oyster shell. I haven't changed the feed and they are receiving additional lighting at night.

Three of their roosters have recently died, but they dropped their egg production before that happened.

Does anyone know what might be the cause?

2. liz9910

liz9910 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2012
    Northern California
    Hi, yes the reason for decrease in egg production this time of year is the decrease in daylight hours, hens need 14 hours to produce an egg. Therefore, you will still get eggs but not as many for sure.

3. lvchicken

lvchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2011
    That's true, but I am giving them enough lighting in their coop at night so they get 14 hours a day. [​IMG]

4. liz9910

liz9910 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2012
    Northern California
    Well then I'm stumped lol. Hope someone else can help you [​IMG]

5. farmerChef

farmerChef Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2010
    Southern Georgia
    My Coop
    they stop laying when they molt and grow new feathers, all of mine are done molting now, but only half have started back laying. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by