1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What happened to my little chick?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Jungleexplorer, Mar 7, 2013.

1. Jungleexplorer

Jungleexplorer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2012
    Abilene, Texas
    My Coop
    I have some chicks that are two weeks old. Today I noticed one hobbling around. I check it out and it's leg is totally side ways. It is not broken, it's like it grew that way, but I know it did not. It was fine when it hatched and I did not notice anything wrong with it until this morning. How could this happen? Is a disease, vitamin deficiency or something else?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 7, 2013
  2. Lone Wolf

Lone Wolf Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 9, 2013
  3. Cluckspert13

Cluckspert13 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 7, 2013
    Looks like she has Spraddle legs! Check out the link above for some more information!

4. Jungleexplorer

Jan 19, 2012
    Abilene, Texas
    My Coop
    Thanks. That is good info, but I don't think it applies here. This chick was two weeks old before it's leg went sideways and it is in a brooder with a wire mesh bottom, so footing is not an issue. Also, it is just one leg, not both. The other leg is just fine.

5. sebright raiser

sebright raiser Out Of The Brooder

Mar 7, 2013
    He could deslocate or break it some chicken or thing could of miss placed its footing and squash his leg im so sorry about that :(

6. Jungleexplorer

Jan 19, 2012
    Abilene, Texas
    My Coop
    Me too. I have examined it closely, and I can't see where it is broken. If I can save him I want to, but I don't want him to suffer too long.

7. Lone Wolf

Jan 9, 2013
    I have done a bit more research and I think your chick has Twisted Leg. The only treatment I could find was put a brace (like a band-aid) around the legs for a while.

8. Jungleexplorer

Jan 19, 2012
    Abilene, Texas
    My Coop
    I tied his legs together with a band-aid like you would do for Spraddle legs. I'll see how he does. thanks

9. Lone Wolf

Jan 9, 2013
    How is your little guy doing?

10. Jungleexplorer

Jan 19, 2012
    Abilene, Texas
    My Coop
    He did not make it.[​IMG] Thanks for the help anyway.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by