What happened to my rooster? Stroke?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by EpicBlueAcres, Aug 24, 2014.

1. EpicBlueAcres

EpicBlueAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2012
    Ransomville,NY
    [​IMG]
    I have a young Delaware rooster (that is in a moveable tractor with other roosters we use for meat birds) that has been healthy so far. Just this afternoon I gave them some scraps, they grab them and run around playing with it. I then heard screaming in the coop portion. I open up the back door and the one roo is rolling all over with his head twisted. I picked him up to stop the flailing but his head kept bobbing. I moved him to an empty smaller tractor and monitored. He was very unsteady on his feet falling to the right, his neck is curved to the right & his right eye won't open. He has a large red skin area at the jaw line at the curve (not sure if it's a mass stretching the skin or no feathers due to the curve his head is making).He is trying to eat the grass (unsuccessful) and drink (seems like he got some water). All of my birds have been vaccinated for Mareks. Any ideas on what it may be ? Will he recover or need to be humanly euthanized?

2. EpicBlueAcres

Jun 23, 2012
    Ransomville,NY
    [​IMG]
    This is when the one leg was still "off", he also keeps rubbing his face on the ground.

3. GA Homesteader

GA Homesteader Out Of The Brooder

Aug 17, 2014
    Senoia GA
    Your bird is possibly showing signs of a vestibular disorder. Loss of balance, paralysis, and head tilting are common signs. Vestibular disease isn't actually one disease, but can be caused by several different conditions. A few of the possibilities are ear infections, injury, tumor on the brain stem, strokes, and exposure to toxic chemicals. It sounds like a stroke to me. I would keep your bird on a soft surface to decrease the chances of injury. If he is having trouble eating and drinking, hand feed him and use a syringe to put water in the bottom of his mouth. Some forms of vestibular disorder - some injuries, some strokes, and certain types of infection- will get better on their own if nursing care is provided. The only additional step you could take would be to see a vet. Others may be able to chime in if they have had experience with these symptoms. This comment is just a guess.

4. EpicBlueAcres

Jun 23, 2012
    Ransomville,NY
    Thankyou, I am so worried as it came on so quick. Unfortunately our vet is not open today. I will move the tractor he is in to lush grass (moved it to a used spot as I didn't want him to be tempted to eat the grass until I knew he could drink) for added padding.I am wondering if he had an injury, they have a step up into the coop & I wonder with running around if he stumbled and hit his head (roosting bar & huge mounted metal feeders where I found him)

Last edited: Aug 24, 2014
  5. GA Homesteader

Aug 17, 2014
    Senoia GA
    It was good to make sure he was at least drinking. That is a necessity. :) He definitely could of had an injury as well. Definitely look him over pretty well and check for any signs of injury. I hope that he gets better. Keep this post updated. I would like to know how the little guy is doing!

6. GA Homesteader

Aug 17, 2014
    Senoia GA
    How is your rooster doing?

7. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    He probably has suffered wry neck or torticolis from the brain inflammation of a head injury. Wry or crook neck can occur from injuries, vitamins deficiencies (vitamin B1, E, and selenium,) and from certain diseases that cause inflammation. Reducing stimulation, making sure that he is getting adequate food and water, and treating with a vitamin supplement may help. Selenium is found in some supplements, and is in eggs, tuna, and sunflower seeds and ground Brazil nuts. Here is a link to read: http://www.browneggblueegg.com/Article/Crookneck/Crookneck.html
    http://oureggbasket.blogspot.com/2013/04/wry-neck-or-crook-neck-understanding-it.html

8. EpicBlueAcres

Jun 23, 2012
    Ransomville,NY
    Took him to the vet Monday, they started him on an anti inflammation medicine & supportive care. He seemed a bit better that evening but he just kept getting worse afterward (more twisting of the head to completely upside down & barrel rolling after he would fall). We just put him down this am. Turns out he had bleeding in his head/brain. All his one side skin was black & blood was building up at each feather outlet. Thankyou to everyone for your help

9. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Oh, so sorry for your loss.

10. GA Homesteader

Aug 17, 2014
    Senoia GA
    I have never heard of this. Thank you for this link.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by